Kent Courses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Since nobody else has put up a signpost to the excellent (and economical) courses being run this year at KSRC, I'll have to do it!

Principally on Saturdays, near Sittingbourne, just off the M2, at the excellent Kent Science Resource Centre facility.
Targeted at Basic Certificate holders and above.

Bookings open at the start of the month before the course (approximately!)

And you can pay by PayPal

Remaining courses in the programme are

26 April
The Many Uses of Nucs (morning)
Brood Comb Changing (afternoon)
/ or do both at a discount !

5 May
Queen Rearing for the Average Beekeeper
/ by Terry Clare

26 May
Introduction to Microscopy
/ by Spring Convention pollen lecturer Adrian Davis
/ KSRC has plenty of good microscopes ...

2 June
Varroa Control without Chemicals
/ by Bob Smith

7 July
Brood Disease Diagnosis
/ by the RBI and SBI
/ showing specimens of diseased comb ...

Fuller details - and on-line booking - at http://canterburybeekeepers.org.uk/products-page/

Just to note that all the remaining courses (last three) are now open for booking.

I've now done two of the day-courses and think both were really excellent.
(And brilliant value for money...)

Bob Smith is an excellent chap, really knowledgeable! not worthy

Email today from Bob Smith - plenty of places for this Sunday's 'Open Day' and lectures.

Because of the site security, you do *need* to register to be able to get in - even though its free!
(I registered a while back)
Register here -> http://canterburybeekeepers.org.uk/products-page/

And there's a new course been added to the list for July - on overwintering. Be prepared I suppose!

As one of the more than 110 Kent beekeepers who have taken advantage of courses at KSRC, Sittingbourne, I wanted to alert you to the "Open Day" that will be running next {Sunday} (24th June).
This unique and FREE event will allow you to bring along samples of your bees (around 30 per colony) and to check them for Nosema infection, while there is time to do something about it! (eg a comb-change) All the kit will be set up in the wonderful labs with help on hand with any aspects you may be unclear of, such as setting up the microscope. Additionally, Adrian Davis will be repeating the beautifully illustrated talk he gave this year at the BBKA Spring Convention "Diet and Pollination" (11-12) and Bob Smith will be repeating the Shropshire workshop on bee-space entitled "8mm of Nothing, Nothing at all .." (1-2pm)
The centre will be open from 10am to 3pm, turn up when you wish and leave when you are ready (bring a packed lunch, drinks will be available)

As past participants, you know about the site security aspects so we have to ask you to register in the normal way on the website and "pay" using the manual option - PayPal does not like free transactions!

Currently, only 9 people are registered for this event which seems a shame - please consider making an appearance and do let your friends know too ?

I look forward to seeing some of you on {Sunday},
Regards, Bob

Some new courses have been posted (link as before).

One on flatpack hive assembly (on a Friday, the day before Th0rne's Windsor sale), one on skep-making (sold out instantly), and one on wax processing and products.

The promise is held out for some module-related courses in the next batch.
As always, they are after feedback/suggestions on what sort of subjects people would like to see covered.

Email today from Bob Smith -

Dear beekeeper,
This short note is simply to remind you that short courses continue to be provided during the winter months, in the wonderful facilities that are the Kent Science Resource Centre (KSRC) in Sittingbourne.

The website shows currently available courses and bookings may be made on-line, with payment using PayPal, BACS or good old-fashioned cheque!

Sunday 14th October - "Working with Beeswax", led by Peter Bashford

This half-day course will deal with the extraction, purification and use of beeswax in the preparation of articles for sale and for the show bench. There are 6 places still available on this course. (£10)

Saturday 3rd November "Mead & Honey Wines", led by John Chapman

This newly listed full day course will provide an introduction to the making of Mead, including the opportunity to sample the product and to start making some of your own. This hands-on course will go through the initial steps and students are encouraged to bring along the ingredients (listed) to enable them to get started...! (£25)

There is also a course in November on skep-making but I'm afraid this is full.

Please visit the website - www.canterburybeekeepers.org.uk/products-page for more detail and to book a place.....

Back