Kent - 2013 courses @ KSRC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
The first confirmed 2013 courses have now been posted on the new website, and booking is open.
There is the promise of more courses being added as the year goes on.
Most are stand-alone one-day offerings, but there is to be a series of linked Microscopy sessions.
Last year's Skep-making day was instantly over-subscribed - but you can book now for this November!

This year, our aim will be to provide 2nd level and more advanced courses for beekeepers who have had bees for a few years.
The programme includes courses aimed at supporting those putting themselves up for the important BBKA Basic Assessment and BBKA General Husbandry practicals.
Additionally, rather than the rather random collection of courses on aspects of microscopy in beekeeping last year, in 2013 the plan is to offer a staged series of possibly 5 different courses from an introduction through to anatomy and dissection and pollen analysis.
Some of the popular courses are to be repeated and some frequently requested courses are to be added in 2013.
All in all, we hope that there will be something for all second-level beekeepers as they strive to improve their knowledge and skills.

I'd say that while these are not for absolute beginners, there is stuff here to appeal to pretty much all established beekeepers.

Website -- http://ksrcbees.org.uk/ (new - update your bookmark!)

Location -- science park outside Sittingbourne, not far from the M2.

Price -- varies, but IMHO great value for not much money. Paypal payment is possible.

First offering -- Wednesday 23 Jan (less than 3 weeks away) Bob Smith on "Beekeeping for Improvers" start is 9.30am for 10, ending about 4. Just £15.

And then, an hour and a half after I posted the above, I got this email reminder from Bob Smith!

Note that if you have any requests for courses you'd like to see on the list or queries about any course details, the location or whatever -- there is a "Contact Us" facility on the website.

Dear All,
This is the time of year for bee-withdrawal symptoms! So, while you can't see the bees as often as you'd like, why not take the opportunity to learn more about them??
Just a reminder then, that a pretty full schedule of courses has been posted on the website www.ksrcbees.org.uk (go to Booking Page) and bookings are being accepted.

I first sent this info before those hectic days leading up to Christmas, when your mind was on other things, so perhaps now is the time to start thinking about your bees again? Mine were all flying yesterday, great to see.

Anyway, regarding the courses, there was a flurry of bookings immediately after release but that has largely dried up now so it seemed appropriate to circulate a reminder. This year, we are starting in January rather than March so I particularly draw your attention to the January courses which include the first of our planned series on microscopy.

I believe that this is a unique enterprise for a Counties' beekeepers, 2nd level courses in a superb, modern and central location. One of the spin-off benefits is the ability to mix with beekeepers from other associations; there are usually interesting discussions in the tea breaks!

I hope there is something in the programme to whet your appetite but, if not, please let me know the course you would like to see?

Regards, Bob

Yesterday, two more courses were added to the schedule (and opened for booking).

We’ve been able to confirm two courses on queen rearing, led by Terry Clare. These will take place on 18th May and 5th June. See the booking page for more details.

Who is Terry Clare? - see *link*
The first is for hobby beekeepers wanting to raise a few replacement queens for themselves and/or friends.
The second is for those with greater ambitions...
This workshop extends the scope of the workshop held on 18th May. By the end of the morning participants will have been introduced to the practical application of three grafting methods and the deployment and testing of the resultant queens. Ideal for anyone intending to take the Husbandry and Module examinations of the BBKA.
Bargain pricing - as always!

Message on the website posted yesterday.
Three of our courses are already fully booked – Microscopy 1, Beeswax Products and Starting Queen Rearing. If you haven’t managed to get on these courses, please drop us an email to indicate interest, so that we can consider creating additional opportunities.

Message is, don't leave it too late to book!
/ two of the full courses are in May ...

Two more courses newly added to the schedule.

4th May - Swarming, its prevention and control (Julian Audsley)
1st June - Varroa, a fuller story (Bob Smith)

Some nice courses Itma a bit hard to locate the current list of courses as they are on the booking page.
Is it just for the people of Kent as its not a million miles from me and I may just fancy one or two days out later in the year.

Some nice courses Itma a bit hard to locate the current list of courses as they are on the booking page.
Is it just for the people of Kent as its not a million miles from me and I may just fancy one or two days out later in the year.

Just ask!
I'm sure they'd be welcoming.

/ And yes, I too think the "Booking Page" title could be improved ...

Just ask!
I'm sure they'd be welcoming.

/ And yes, I too think the "Booking Page" title could be improved ...

thanks for pointing out the imperfect menu label - perhaps the update just completed will be more to your taste?

The Wax Products course was oversubscribed.

It is being rerun in September, and is available to book now. (Don't hang about.)

Oddly, last year the skep-making course was oversubscribed. This year it still has places ...

Usual link as posted above.

Back