Keeping a freezer in a garage that could get below freezing.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stung

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have to put to hives in a freezer for wax worm. I don't have space in the one in the house. Can I put a freezer in the garage that is not insulated. It will be in below temp. in winter.

I have to put to hives in a freezer for wax worm. I don't have space in the one in the house. Can I put a freezer in the garage that is not insulated. It will be in below temp. in winter.

How old is it?

I have a 30 year old one which works in our garage when it's -10C..
Some modern ones will not evaporate their coolant at -1C so you are stuffed like a turkey.

I suggest RTFM ... which is probably on line.

I bought a large chest freezer for the garage earlier this year.

Many weren't suitable but some are so you have to read the descriptions carefully. I eventually bought a BEKO and it has so far been great

:iagree:

I needed a freezer to go in an outside shed. Bought a beko chest freezer several years ago and have had absolutely no bother with it. There is even a light inside which comes on when you open the lid..!

Just check that whichever model you get it can operate when the outside temperature is below freezing. Most can't.

Most modern freezers are not suitable to be kept in an unheated garage - the refrigerant gases have been changed to ones less harmful to the atmosphere. however, there are still some made that are OK. We found this out last month when looking for a new chest freezer.
A good retailer should be able to tell you which are suitable. Here in the UK John Lewis will tell you - but no idea where to ask in the US though.

Last edited:

Freezers now on sale generally have the relevant information on the specification sheet. Most on sale on the internet will actually say if it can be used in 'outside' temperatures. Not all of them can due to evaporator design. Hope this was some use.:)

Last edited:
Just an update.
A good sized chest freezer from Beko for outside temperatures. Beko CF1100APW £300 10 cubic feet capacity. Worth a look at! AO online store.
:)

Am I being stupid here When the ambient temperature drops below freezing, cut the power.

Storage temperature for the freezer itself has to withstand nasty below freezing temps or they
wouldn't be able to container ship them and stand them on open docksides for months.

Next question, why do you need below freezing storage for wax moth ?

Hi Bob, It kills the eggs as well as the larvae and then you can store the brood frames without any chemicals provided storage is moth proof or keep them in the freezer until you need them.

If it gets below freezing then maybe a freezer isn't needed? Possibly stack them outside if you have a secure garden when it becomes cold enough? If not, sulphur strips do the job and are much cheaper.

Last edited:
Put frames in freezer for 48 hours with freezer on. Switch freezer off and leave frames inside. If you don't use it for food job done and frames stored in sealed freezer.
E

Back