Just a Thought about Clipping the Queens Wings...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
Instead of clipping the Queens wings, has anyone tried gluing them together. By the way, I'm not saying I have, but would like to know if it could stop her swarming...

Last edited:
Noooooo - sorry but No. I think clipping is a choice. I do not, but understand that some people will and why - but glue?? Hell No, sorry, just wrong.

Yes, but they can still use their legs?! By sticking a bees wings together you take away such an important thing - still No! A bees wings are like a dog or cats legs...No.

Why hell no, we neuter our cats and dogs and that takes a bit more...

Firstly, that would surely cause more discomfort –*couldn't 'stretch' or whatever bees do.

But more importantly, the smell of any adhesive is likely to result in the workers balling the queen and far more likely than a dab of water based paint.

I must tell a story about gasoline dog.

An aunt has a girl dog. She let it to walk freely in town, but she put gasoline under tail that boy dogs cannot smell it.
Once a dog disappered and aunt called to police. She told characteristics to the police and and menitioned that dog has gasoline under tail.

It took 2 hours and police called to aunt. Yes, we have found your dog. Characteristics match to dog, but gasoline is finish because another dog is pushing your dog.

I must tell a story about gasoline dog.

An aunt has a girl dog. She let it to walk freely in town, but she put gasoline under tail that boy dogs cannot smell it.
Once a dog disappered and aunt called to police. She told characteristics to the police and and menitioned that dog has gasoline under tail.

It took 2 hours and police called to aunt. Yes, we have found your dog. Characteristics match to dog, but gasoline is finish because another dog is pushing your dog.

Image is on the internet- I use it in talks. Shows queen respect, communication, pheromone transfer, grooming, feeding - all in one pic- a great one to describe to my audience (Joe Public).

I'm sure that somewhere someone is working on modified wingless queens and that there will be a number of "keepers" queuing up for them when they are available along with their "animal free meat" and all the other crap they welcome in their life.

I really must stop pussyfooting around.

Chris

No, it's not my photo, the image is to show the wings laying on one another.
Ok, here's the story. I was marking a Queen and had her in the fingers of my left hand, I reached into my pocket with my right hand to take out the marker pen and while trying to remove the cap with just the one hand, I dropped the pen. I picked up the pen and went to give her a little mark on her back when a large splodge of marker paint came out and ran down her back and down both wings. I stood there for a few minutes thinking what to do and in the mean time the marker paint dried, so I put her back in the hive.
This happened two weeks ago, but yesterday when I checked on her, she is still laying well and moving around ok, but her wings are still stuck together. I'm guessing that in time in will wear off, but it had me thinking that she couldn't smarm as things are...

If you do it please post a video. Give us all a laugh..Glue takes a minute to dry by then she's flapped em.

I would be concerned that the glue would get on her body - and affect her ability to move and 'breathe' (I don't mark or dlip - so an already in the 'don't do' camp :) )

I reckon the queen uses the muscles of her wings to get around the hive. I have seen a queen lift her wings when she wants to move quickly. So on that thought it's probably a reason for the bees to replace her. I d say don't do it this may actually be cruel. Clipping is a great answer to swarm control but even that should be used judiciously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back