June gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbc

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
A note went in my diary today to the effect that the spring flow is over and we're into the june gap here, its been an abundant spring flow, lets hope summer provides a bit of honey too.

Only June gap i tend to see now days is when it rains for a couple of weeks, its a bit of a myth in my neck of the woods.

A note went in my diary today to the effect that the spring flow is over and we're into the june gap here, its been an abundant spring flow, lets hope summer provides a bit of honey too.

Yep, same here - all stopped in the last week

Was just thinking about the June gap, is London equally affected or is London immune?

A guy at our local association says we're a bit behind in the North East so it's the July gap here.

Of course any other North East members please feel free to correct/elaborate.

Usually a July gap here and it'll be the same this year. Osr and Hawthorne over by the end of this week then judging by the buds it'll move seamlessly into blackberry season. So dry last season it didn't yield and the soil is pretty dry this year but it rained most of yesterday so here's hoping

Despite the weather, its been a bumper spring and will be taking supers off in next couple of weeks. We have not noticed a spring break for several years, could do with one to have supers ready for the main flow.
S

Didn't have a June gap last year .
The Hawthorne and sycamore/ maple still going strong now hopefully for another two weeks before the black Berry's open .
June 17th last year we extracted spring crop on the hill.

I think it's a little variable as to exactly what sources they have available. At all my out-apiaries they appear to be foraging without issue. In my sub-urban home apiary they are scavenging for any nectar source, even old comb (in a bait hive) with crystalized honey/sugar, so I suspect there is little flower nectar around, which would be the definition of the June gap.

June gap?
Blackberry already flowering in the greatgreygreengreasyslimeytamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithtwohiveowners....
no sign of any decrease in nectar flow... evenings spent making up even more super frames!

Yeghes da

so I suspect there is little flower nectar around, which would be the definition of the June gap.

I use to have 2-3 week June gap from 10.6 to 28.6. It is from the end of dandelion blooming to the main flow. It is the best swarming period too, because hives do not have enough work.

During gap there is no good mass nectar flowers. First such is after gap raspberry. It gives a huge yield. They grow everywhere, except on fields.

Definiotion of gap? It does not need definition. It depends on bee plants what exist on the radius of 2 km from hives. It is a gap to bees, if flowers are too far.

If I take hives, and carry them to the pine forest, the whole summer will a gap.

Different pastures give different yields. Difference is easily 3 fold, even 5 fold.

In my home yard I get 30 kg|/hive and in best places 150 kg/hive.

Last edited:
No nectar dripping from the frames anymore, so I guess the flow has ended. This is in my garden in town. I had left some cappings after extraction in a plate outside, during the flow, just 1 or 2 bees on it, now there is a lot of them.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

June gap means to me only swarming and making artificial swarms. Nothing else.

Not even good weathers help to get yield.

You do not have even bad weather weeks?

The Sun always shines on the righteous!

:calmdown:

What the Bible actually says is that the sun shines on both the righteous and the unrighteous.

It's making the point that God is merciful.,,,, if you believe in that sort of stuff!

Just before some pedant gets his knickers in a twist!

Last edited:
Been pretty rubbish here mainly with the cool weather. Colonies started to fill the first super then it cooled again and swarming started. When it picks up again hopefully the queens will be mated and the colonies will build up in time for the late summer flows.

PH

Yes, rubbish here also and the next few days / week not looking promising also 😒

Later this week looking good, blackberry starting and acacia just out. Bees still all over the laurel leaves

Latest posts

Back