It's begun...........!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Verdict of my apiary landlady
Took a hive to a new out apiary yesterday. My hives are 14X12, homemade with aliminium apex roof. Multicoloured boxes and stand, wood/white/blue depending on the woodstain/paint available.
new landlady, 'I am pleased to see you have traditional hives. I visited a friend today who had a new omlet hive. Most hideous thing I ever saw. Colour and style awful. I don't think the bees even liked it'.
I left with a smug smile and, unusually for me, I was lost for an appropriate comment.

They look like a drinks cooler to me :confused:

I prefer the good old wooden hives. I may not know the pros and cons yet, but I do not like the look of these beehauses. saying that, if I won one, and I couldn't swap it, I would use it. I may even be proved wrong! But when I think of bee keeping, I imagine the WBC hives, with a grumpy old bloke stood beside it in a bee suit. Stereotyping lol, shouldn't do it ;)

I prefer the good old wooden hives. I may not know the pros and cons yet, but I do not like the look of these beehauses. saying that, if I won one, and I couldn't swap it, I would use it. I may even be proved wrong! But when I think of bee keeping, I imagine the WBC hives, with a grumpy old bloke stood beside it in a bee suit. Stereotyping lol, shouldn't do it ;)
Well, I'm female but the grumpy bit fits!!

The grumpy bit fits me too tonight lol....I am a bee keeper you know ;)

quite a good description of Me!!! especially when i have not taken my tablets

i use flat roof national 14x12 in my apiary but in the garden....i put a pitched roof on, even on hive just "parking" for a 3mile move...just fits in more, and as you say more like the stereo type...Kaz you seen the picture of the one i made...pitched roof...it would have been easier to do it flat.it that one lives in the garden...and it is painted white :cheers2:

Back