It can't be this early can it

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Driving through South Hertfordshire, i noticed a flash of yellow....stopped and parked my car

looking over the hedge , yes, stray yellow OSR flowers, less and 1% of the field but they were there, 2ft tall spikes of OSR of stray plant, possibly self sown Spring OSR in the main OSR field

the rest of the fields looked still green but they cannot be far behind

here in sussex round chichester to.

Yes I couldn't believe aswell, walking the dog earlier thru fields of it and came across the odd flowers.

I even took a few pics and was going to double check it.

If its two foot tall now, its likely to be wild turnip rather than osr.

More than likely Charlock a weed that grows in OSR looks very much like Rape

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=28

Driving through South Hertfordshire, i noticed a flash of yellow....stopped and parked my car

looking over the hedge , yes, stray yellow OSR flowers, less and 1% of the field but they were there, 2ft tall spikes of OSR of stray plant, possibly self sown Spring OSR in the main OSR field

the rest of the fields looked still green but they cannot be far behind

Is this OSR in the pics attached or not?

It wasn't that tall but a few plants in the field had shot up higher than the rest to say 18inches and are flowering.

taken today in the mist, just by junction 3 on M1

it is too much yellow just to be charlock or wild mustard

Is this OSR in the pics attached or not?

It wasn't that tall but a few plants in the field had shot up higher than the rest to say 18inches and are flowering.

Definitely OSR. They may be spring rape contaminants (not 'turnip rape' which is grown infrequently now but spring swede rape, same species as the winter rape) , on the other hand they could just be the odd plant of winter rape misbehaving. Very very early.

just come back from a day up at Alnmouth and there's at least 2 fields of OSR 12 to 18" high and starting to flower - this must be a new strain - we're practically in Scotland!!!

Think I saw the same fields on my way to Bamburgh Castle....
Is it to do with the relatively dry conditions perhaps ....

Last July there was a large field of "OSR" family crop just before the northbound M23/M25 junction. Just passed it this morning and it's in pretty much full bloom again (on short flower stems this time) - farmer is in the process of ploughing it in.

Latest posts

Back