It ain't over 'til it's over...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But your argument that because a small amount of something is beneficial, therefore it logically follows that a large amount of it must be even better, is flawed.
LJ

Yes, you are correct you can cannot extrapolate indefinitely, there are limits.
Thats why I have done so much work on investigating the limits that the bees have evolved to cope with. The honeybee in its natural habitat would on average encounter 4 times the thermal resistance of a conventional hive. This translates in the geometry of national hive of around 50 mm of PIR ( kingspan etc..).

Last edited:
Again someome being misquoted as per usual. Pargyle did not write that at all. What he said was ''to maintain the colony temperature that they prefer''

Far different than the suggested reply. Has this fellow never heard of collapses (and death) in over-insulated or over-heated situations?

Two examples come to mind. Soldiers doing high stress exercise in wet suits in hot weather and babies or pets left in overheating situations, such as cars on sunny days.

Of course there are limits; it does not need much brain power to work that one out - or does it?

Again someome being misquoted as per usual. Pargyle did not write that at all. What he said was ''to maintain the colony temperature that they prefer''

Far different than the suggested reply. Has this fellow never heard of collapses (and death) in over-insulated or over-heated situations?

Two examples come to mind. Soldiers doing high stress exercise in wet suits in hot weather and babies or pets left in overheating situations, such as cars on sunny days.

Of course there are limits; it does not need much brain power to work that one out - or does it?

Its not only the beekeeping establishment, the faithful, and the conservative.
The academic community is not on board either. Try finding any recent academic work that even allows insulation levels to be factor to be considered in any analysis.

two recent european surveys of winter losses did not even ask about the insulation level.
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/resource/0042/00423966.pdf
Journal of Apicultural Research 53(1): 19-34 (2014)

On subject itself A small number of contradictory papers can be found. But most of them have poor grip on the heat flow side. (i.e. one or more of : insulation levels not quantified, top vents, holes drilled in the middle etc..)

Last edited:

Two examples come to mind. ?

Well. How much you have insulated hives or over insulated hives in Uk?

Is your weather so hot that bees die inside the hive. Some say that insulation keeps hives cold like a freezer. ( but brooding makes the heat)

How many hives have died for heat in UK and how many for cold?

Seldom a hive dies simply for cold. It only consumes food faster and starve to death.

Have you ever met over insulated house, which is too hot to live?

Our winter hives in Finland are all insulated. It is not a mystery here.
Winter ventilation makes beeks almost fight, because everybody is right.
Structure of bottom boards and inner covers are great magic.

And what are modern solutions and structures... Be ready to fight to end!

Thanks RAB and others, I agree ... I record the temperatures inside my well insulated long deep hive on a daily basis .. nowhere near as sophisticated a system as DerekM but what it tells me is that over last winter my bees kept the colony at an average of about 10 degrees higher than the external air temperature ... and this was with a full width mesh floor (albeit protected from draughts).

In the hot days of the summer the colony temperature was never more than the external air temperature and on the whole usually about 5 degrees less. They seem to prefer a temperature around the centre of occupancy of between 20 & 30 degrees and vary this only when the energy required to maintain the hive interior within these parameters becomes uneconomic. IE: when faced with extremes of temperature outside the hive are so influential that the insulation cannot completely eradicate the influence. I don't have the facility to monitor the temp and RH in the centre of the frames - my measurements are taken below the crown board and above the frames more or less in the centre of the hive.

Relative Humidity in the hive (which I also monitor) remains pretty constant between about 75% and 85%.

These are clearly conditions that the bees wished to maintain, they were never tightly clustered - even in the coldest weather - evident from quick observations through the clear 6mm polycarb crownboard which is sealed to the top of the hive with aluminium tape so there is no upward airflow whatsoever. I have 100mm of Kingspan insulation on top of the crownboard and an insulated apex roof on the hive and I have never seen any condensation forming on the crown board.

So ... in my simple logic ... if the bees are able to economically maintain their preferred micro climate a little easier by the addition of insulation then this has to be good for any bee colony, strong or weak. I cannot see the logic in the suggestion that, by keeping bees cold, we are breeding better bees - or allowing those colonies to die out that are incapable of withstanding the rigours of a cold hive somehow improves the gene pool.

Surely every beekeepers aim is to see to it that their bees survive the winter ... by whatever means they have at their disposal ?

I would accept that there may come a point when further insulation is not adding to the bees situation but I don't believe that I've reached that point in any of my hives yet. I didn't see my bees hanging on the front of the hive in the winter because they were too warm ... or in the summer to any great extent for that matter.

I have, however, seen bees at other apiaries in thin timber boxes with sheet metal clad roofs clustered and fanning like mad on the outside of the hive in hot weather ... all that energy going to waste ?

Last edited:
So ... in my simple logic ... if the bees are able to economically maintain their preferred micro climate a little easier by the addition of insulation then this has to be good for any bee colony, strong or weak. I cannot see the logic in the suggestion that, by keeping bees cold, we are breeding better bees - or allowing those colonies to die out that are incapable of withstanding the rigours of a cold hive somehow improves the gene pool.

Surely every beekeepers aim is to see to it that their bees survive the winter ... by whatever means they have at their disposal ?
:iagree:

If any other food producer deliberately gave their animals a tough time they'd be pilloried by the animal rightists. But hey, bees are only a bunch of stinging insects, and there are plenty more to be had for free during swarm season so losses are easily replaced.

Not to mentioned the simple fact that if you have good queens either reared yourself or from a good local supplier, you already know you have a good strain of bees to over winter. So no need to test them by putting the in poorly suited hives.

In the hot days of the summer the colony temperature was never more than the external air temperature and on the whole usually about 5 degrees less. They seem to prefer a temperature around the centre of occupancy of between 20 & 30 degrees and vary this only when the energy required to maintain the hive interior within these parameters becomes uneconomic. IE: when faced with extremes of temperature outside the hive are so influential that the insulation cannot completely eradicate the influence. I don't have the facility to monitor the temp and RH in the centre of the frames - my measurements are taken below the crown board and above the frames more or less in the centre of the hive.

Relative Humidity in the hive (which I also monitor) remains pretty constant between about 75% and 85%.

These are clearly conditions that the bees wished to maintain, they were never tightly clustered - even in the coldest weather - evident from quick observations through the clear 6mm polycarb crownboard which is sealed to the top of the hive with aluminium tape so there is no upward airflow whatsoever. I have 100mm of Kingspan insulation on top of the crownboard and an insulated apex roof on the hive and I have never seen any condensation forming on the crown board.

Don't confuse them with facts, Phil, they've made up their minds.

He who would wash an asses head wastes both his time and his soap - ancient Arab proverb

CVB

Don't confuse them with facts, Phil, they've made up their minds.

He who would wash an asses head wastes both his time and his soap - ancient Arab proverb

CVB

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2: If there's one thing I've learned it's that new ideas move very slowly in most beekeeping circles ... there's a lot of heretics to be burnt at the stake before some people come to accept the premise 'that you can never have enough insulation and the best way to over winter a hive is to make it as draught proof as possible' - [Bill Bielby 1973] ... only 40 years .. just a blink of an eye in terms of the bees .... and beekeeping !

CVB
We had a similar saying on the fleet (sorry, now renamed 'the squadron') it went something like
'He who would wash his ass in the heads is asking for trouble'

Hi guys and girls,
Well, now that the topic of insulation has been exhausted for the time being, you may want to know that the bees are doing very well and suffering from delay brood production syndrome as they have just remembered that they were a swarm three weeks ago.

Back