Is tongue and groove a problem?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lautarinho

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have several metres of 18mm thick Cedar planks (at no cost) but they're only 90mm wide and they're tongue and groove, which means that if I slot them together to get the required width there will be a small indent along the join inside the hive. Will this cause a problem?

Could I use a natural or organic wood filler?

I have several metres of 18mm thick Cedar planks (at no cost) but they're only 90mm wide and they're tongue and groove, which means that if I slot them together to get the required width there will be a small indent along the join inside the hive. Will this cause a problem?

Could I use a natural or organic wood filler?

You usually find that the groove is only on one side of the T & G - the other side will make the planks butt up together ? Use the grooved side on the outside of the hive ... if it is grooved on both sides I wouldn't worry about filling it smooth - its not going to make a lot of difference and if the bees don't like it they will just smooth it out with propolis (unlikely !).

Just remember they need to be used the right way up! You may be OK, but I have seen a panel where the water ran into the groove!

Just remember they need to be used the right way up! You may be OK, but I have seen a panel where the water ran into the groove!

Yes ... this is correct. I tend to run a bead of exterior grade PVA glue along the tenon which will help seal any minor gaps. Just to assist - the tenon (tongue) needs to point upwards when the hive has been built ...

Latest posts

Back