is this wax moth grub?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ail901

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Hi All

found this on todays inspection and dont know what it is, is it wax moth

if it is what do I do?

dont have someone nearby yet to help, and I am very new

Any comments appriciated

Thanks in advance

Looks like broken open drone cell with larvae to me

wax moth larvae are long and thin and are quite motile!

Yes, you've torn the tops off removing the frame and exposed drone larvae.
Look at the adjacent capped cells. They are drone.

wow thanks for fast replies, looks like I need to be more careful

should I do anything with them or leave alone

wow thanks for fast replies, looks like I need to be more careful

should I do anything with them or leave alone
you don't need to do anything with them - the bees will clean up any damaged brood in their housekeeping.

Mine do the same - it's sometimes difficult not to decapitiate a few drone cells, especially if they build them all hanging off the bottom of the frames!

LJ

Are you anywhere near Aubusson/Montlucon area Ail901?
I have a place in Creuse

If you think you have wax moth (you will at some point) tap the edge of the frame and the nosey little buggers stick their heads up. That's when you squash them.

Got shown that during my training by one of my tutors and have had no cause to use it until this year and has come in handy. I've also tracked down the odd one and then tapped just to have the satisfaction of seeing it put up its periscope.

If you think you have wax moth (you will at some point) tap the edge of the frame and the nosey little buggers stick their heads up. That's when you squash them.

Got shown that during my training by one of my tutors and have had no cause to use it until this year and has come in handy. I've also tracked down the odd one and then tapped just to have the satisfaction of seeing it put up its periscope.

:iagree: works a treat.

Hi ail901
I am a new beekeeper too(and had unhelpful replies to posts too) but the only reason I knew what drone larvae looked like was because my tutor had shown us some. So ignore the patronising posts- dont even bother responding. Everyone learns through experience..or as I saw on one post..experience in beekeeping is what you get after you need it. Good luck. Am about to put my head above parapet on a new thread. Lets see how many rotten tomatoes get thrown this time....

Hi ail901
I am a new beekeeper too(and had unhelpful replies to posts too) but the only reason I knew what drone larvae looked like was because my tutor had shown us some. So ignore the patronising posts- dont even bother responding. Everyone learns through experience..or as I saw on one post..experience in beekeeping is what you get after you need it. Good luck. Am about to put my head above parapet on a new thread. Lets see how many rotten tomatoes get thrown this time....

There are a few rotten ones and you will soon find them. Try not to make my mistake and get drawn into their stupid sarcasm. We are here because we all have a mutual interest.

Was at my apiary and saw what I know to be an adult wax moth fly up to my main colony and walk under the roof.

Haven't been in for more than a week as united two colonies, so hope not too bad in there.

There are a few rotten ones and you will soon find them. Try not to make my mistake and get drawn into their stupid sarcasm. We are here because we all have a mutual interest.

To be fair, Steve, you spat your dummy and sent a member you considered to be attacking you an offensive direct message.

So, I would recommend all people to count to 10 if they don't like a response, as written messages don't have the benefit of context and may not be meant as bluntly as they come across.

Most of all, remember that stupid questions do attract stupid answers. However, WE ALL ask stupid questions, and there isn't a better place on the internet to get information. Can be very quick, too.

Latest posts

Back