Is this V. Velutina in S France?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
There were loads of these busy on the ivy flowers on an island off the south french coast.
I think they are velutina. Am I right?
Lots of hoverflies too, but I haven't seen a single bee!

Attachments

• DSC_0237~2.JPG
    DSC_0237~2.JPG
    551.5 KB · Views: 1
There were loads of these busy on the ivy flowers on an island off the south french coast.
yes, it is

Yes, my parents garden is full of them! I have made them some trap to put out in the spring when the females become active again.

I hope none of them decided to hide in your luggage.......:eek:

I was tempted to kill one to take back for reference, but pretty sure I'll recognise it when I see one next - big buggers!!
A few years back Richard Noel sent me an envelope full to look at. I gave a few to a friend from Bees Wasps and Ants to pin out.
Thorne sell one embalmed in plastic

A few years back Richard Noel sent me an envelope full to look at.
and me, I put them all in a jar of alcohol - some went on to the the local SBIs and our RBI (who sent one to the NBU)
In fact, only the other day I found the last few floating in a jar tucked away in the shed

Latest posts

Back