Is this cold spell just starting a good time to vape?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwinte

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If so after how long into it for least mites in brood? I'm thinking to wait a week and then vape - 1 hive, previous (second) oxalic vape 26 Nov about 100 drop - or is a bit longer better. I assume its a trade off between hatching of all recently laid against odds of new laying if we get a few sunny warm days among the cold nights etc.
Or just do it in a few days and again 5 days later (if there was significant drop from the first)?

Does HM respond more to the coldness of the night or the light and warmth of the day? Mine are reasonably protected from the worst wind and cold and get good warming the moment there is sun.

PS how/when do we decide we're not beginners? I'll never feel I know it all or, I suspect, be very certain of what will be best next...
Thanks!

Last edited:
If so after how long into it for least mites in brood? I'm thinking to wait a week and then vape - 1 hive, previous (second) oxalic vape 26 Nov about 100 drop - or is a bit longer better. I assume its a trade off between hatching of all recently laid against odds of new laying if we get a few sunny warm days among the cold nights etc.
Or just do it in a few days and again 5 days later (if there was significant drop from the first)?

Does HM respond more to the coldness of the night or the light and warmth of the day? Mine are reasonably protected from the worst wind and cold and get good warming the moment there is sun.

PS how/when do we decide we're not beginners? I'll never feel I know it all or, I suspect, be very certain of what will be best next...
Thanks!

As sealed brood comes from eggs laid a couple of weeks prior, then a cold spell now would only have any impact on sealed brood levels two weeks from now.

Studies have shown the period with last brood is the December - early January period.

I vaped mid December and one hive with a continuing drop every 5 days finishing on Boxing Day.

regardless of the weather - brooding will be on the increase from now on, the best time would have been mid to late December (again, regardless of weather)
The problem with vaping (or trickling) in extremely cold weather is, it's not that effective as the cluster is to tight so the OA doesn't get on to all the bees. It needs to be done when the cluster isn't to tight (or non existent) with bees moving around freely.

regardless of the weather - brooding will be on the increase from now on, the best time would have been mid to late December (again, regardless of weather)
The problem with vaping (or trickling) in extremely cold weather is, it's not that effective as the cluster is to tight so the OA doesn't get on to all the bees. It needs to be done when the cluster isn't to tight (or non existent) with bees moving around freely.

:iagree:

probably missed the boat if you were hoping for a brood break. but still worth treating and see what the mite falls like on the sticky board- may need 3-4 treatments 4-5 days apart

Thanks to all, yes don't know how but busy December slipped past without it getting done. I'll take on board the point to not care about the weather too much, in part I was waiting for it to feel like a cold spell....

Back