Is there anything a hobbyist beekeeper can do about swarms?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest maybe you do a bit of reading and research first before getting even more hives as it seems you are struggling already. Get your beekeeping knowledge up to scratch then look at your possibilities again.

I suggest maybe you do a bit of reading and research first before getting even more hives as it seems you are struggling already. Get your beekeeping knowledge up to scratch then look at your possibilities again.
I dont think he has started yet JBM.

If your comment was for me I also suggest you do some reading, like my original question for example - if it wasn't then perhaps some clarity on who you are responding to would be even more helpful - thanks.

Thank you for the link, it certainly is very informative.

I meant the reintroduction element though.
I wait till the new queen is laying. I always transfer two frames of emerging/capped brood to the nuc so they are often in a full size hive by the time the new queen is up and running. If not then just transfer before uniting through newspaper.

I wait till the new queen is laying. I always transfer two frames of emerging/capped brood to the nuc so they are often in a full size hive by the time the new queen is up and running. If not then just transfer before uniting through newspaper.
which is why it is useful to have two times the amount of kit!

I have four colonies that up to last week had made no swarm preps. I’m dreading what I might find today. Hastily making frames up. Don’t want to nuc queens on the cusp of a flow. Have only enough kit for two Demarees. Never done one this late. Or might do what Pete little recommended. I have already done two. Seems to work.

I have four colonies that up to last week had made no swarm preps. I’m dreading what I might find today. Hastily making frames up. Don’t want to nuc queens on the cusp of a flow. Have only enough kit for two Demarees. Never done one this late. Or might do what Pete little recommended. I have already done two. Seems to work.
I'm in the same boat ... only the one colony has made a queen cell so far ... I checked two more yesterday - and have to look in two more today. I've got Nucs ready for them and spare hives ... and frames ... can't believe it - for once I'm ready for them with enough spare kit and the little beggars decide they are happy where they are ! I'm sure they do it deliberately.

What was Pete’s recommendation Dani? I’m in the same boat too, so I’d appreciate the info if possible please.

Colony with queen cells. Remove ALL
nuc the queen
Return one week to remove all emergency cells and introduce a frame with eggs and young larvae.
Return one week and remove the second round of queen cells
Reintroduce queen either in an introduction cage or unite the nuc.

All mine have tried to swarm this year..... Every single one!
I would say 80% of mine have made swarm preps, I've not last any bees yet, just a few queens.

Colony with queen cells. Remove ALL
nuc the queen
Return one week to remove all emergency cells and introduce a frame with eggs and young larvae.
Return one week and remove the second round of queen cells
Reintroduce queen either in an introduction cage or unite the nuc.
Thanks👍

As soon as the new queen is laying well. Then you just choose which queen you want to keep.

Wouldn't you effectively be creating the same conditions that caused them to try and swarm in the first place, by combining back together?

Would they not just make swarm cells again…especially if you kept the same queen?

Latest posts

Back