Is the weather too mild at the moment to consider oxalic acid treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules59

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I was going to trickle OA today but its going to be 12 C !
Is it too mild at the moment for OA? The daytime temp is not going to be down to 4C until next week at the earliest with night time temp only down to 2C.
As you need a broodless period for OA to be really effective I wondered if I should wait until its colder.
I suppose that begs the question what inhibits egg laying in the winter ? Is it external temperature, daylight hours or something else ?

I would hazard that your broodless period is over. If you did an autumn treatment I wouldn’t worry about doing a trickle.
I vaped my bees a few days ago but it was probably a waste of time. I think I’ve missed the boat too

Area specific I'd say I'm trickling today up on the hills
Temp is 9 c today perfect conditions.
Colder next week so colonys will be in a tight cluster.

Last edited:
I was going to trickle OA today but its going to be 12 C !
Is it too mild at the moment for OA? The daytime temp is not going to be down to 4C until next week at the earliest with night time temp only down to 2C.
As you need a broodless period for OA to be really effective I wondered if I should wait until its colder.
I suppose that begs the question what inhibits egg laying in the winter ? Is it external temperature, daylight hours or something else ?

this is exactly my current question so helpful responses above

i dont think the temp has dropped enough to be broodless but this seems the same each year these days

not sure what to do for best

I would hazard that your broodless period is over. If you did an autumn treatment I wouldn’t worry about doing a trickle.
I vaped my bees a few days ago but it was probably a waste of time. I think I’ve missed the boat too
I think I missed the boat with 19 of my hives so I'm giving them a 3x5 day course over Xmas and the new year.

Never treated mine this early. It’s always a job for early new year. Not sure what all the panics about😉

this is exactly my current question so helpful responses above

i dont think the temp has dropped enough to be broodless but this seems the same each year these days

not sure what to do for best
I vaped mine in last 2 weeks. Had minimal drops (find Apivar is v effective late summer) but had 2 colonies with a few miles, so repeated those 5 days after. Had further drop of a dozen mites in one, will repeat again after 5 days. You could try that - monitor the drop and repeat so 3x5 days apart if a drop of more than say 10 mites…

I vaped mine in last 2 weeks. Had minimal drops (find Apivar is v effective late summer) but had 2 colonies with a few miles, so repeated those 5 days after. Had further drop of a dozen mites in one, will repeat again after 5 days. You could try that - monitor the drop and repeat so 3x5 days apart if a drop of more than say 10 mites…
Edit: just seen your later post that you trickle, not recommended more than once as Jenks has said, worth investing in a vaporiser for next season?

Just wondering with that mite drop if I would of left them and maybe done a treatment in early spring.

Never treated mine this early. It’s always a job for early new year. Not sure what all the panics about😉
:iagree: but ,but.................................stoopid me, did mine yesterday and found BIAS in one and a very light box in another so gave it a block of fondant. Have always done it NY in the past. Lesson learnt!!

possibly because the NBU have just sent out notices telling us that varroa rates are high atm because of the warmer weather...

Latest posts

Back