Is it Just The Sunshine?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
One of the joys of retirement is that you can stand and watch the garden and in particular your hives as the seasons come and go. I have two hives a National on a brood and a half and a 14x12. The National is in a sunnier spot in the garden whilst the 14 x12 is more protected by a summer house though this is shadier. The National colony is and has been for some weeks now quite active, though the 14 x12 shows little sign of flying bees. I did however remove the roof of the 14 x12 to add fondant and there are a lot of bees clustered on top of the frames and with the roof off quite a number became active before returning to the hive.

I wonder whether the difference in activity is merely to do with the stage of the cycle within the hive or does the sunnier position offered to the National hive, provide that colony with a positive advantage? Or have I missed a trick?

Thoughts and any sage advice most welcome!!

One of the joys of retirement is that you can stand and watch the garden and in particular your hives as the seasons come and go. I have two hives a National on a brood and a half and a 14x12. The National is in a sunnier spot in the garden whilst the 14 x12 is more protected by a summer house though this is shadier. The National colony is and has been for some weeks now quite active, though the 14 x12 shows little sign of flying bees. I did however remove the roof of the 14 x12 to add fondant and there are a lot of bees clustered on top of the frames and with the roof off quite a number became active before returning to the hive.

I wonder whether the difference in activity is merely to do with the stage of the cycle within the hive or does the sunnier position offered to the National hive, provide that colony with a positive advantage? Or have I missed a trick?

Thoughts and any sage advice most welcome!!

Sunnier position definitly makes a difference to my bees, as the sun comes around one hive gets the sun before the next. & so on, the bees start to fly in order of sun reaching them. In summer they fly a lot more when the sun is on the hives than when it isnt, once the temperatures go up it doesnt make so much difference when the sun hits them. Maybe thats just my bees.

an observation I made last year with two of my colonies, which were in shaded place on our allotments, which was bright but shaded by trees, and high hedges compared to other colonies, in the same foraging area but out in the open (less than 500m), these were up late foraging (e.g. approx 10am), and were all in bed at approx 5-6pm.

My other colonies, were out very early, at sun up, and still foraging well after 7-8pm.

I moved the same two colonies from the allotments, to my out apiary, and after a few days, they were both like different colonies, to how I'd seen them previously.

So I would have to say based on my experience, sunshine does make a difference.

yep, sun on the hives does make a difference, one of mine gets the sun before the other and is always the first to be active. - this morning was no exception.

Yes sunny is important, and early morning sun is the most important.

Oh dear, seems as if my bees have got in wrong in the home apiary - they all, irrespective of sun/shade, seem to start flying at sun up, and are still going when it seems to me to be well past their bedtime... I often sit in the falling dusk and watch the last workers heading home, wondering while they are still working as I take a sip of wine!

Last edited:
All mine have a good view of sunrise and are in the dappled shade of a silver birch at noon.
The wood hives get going earlier than the polys.

Back