Is inspecting bees regularly doing more harm than good?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The research I read compared Hygenic and non hygenic strain of bee removing varoa with changes in temperature. Both were more effective the higher the ambient temperature.
Keeping the bees in conditions that lose less heat, means they will have more energy availiable to do things other than keeping warm and raising brood.

I have read much that "do nothing" is the best way to treat varroa.
Take a gene from chimney hive and put into your hive.
Chimney hives can kill varroa because chimneys are hot, really hot.

Put into you hive a chimney effect and it blows mites away and they never return.

TRUST ME!!!

That was published September 1998 .What has happened after that?

14 years.....waiting the END of varroa...

I agree finman, the changes in technique and measuring equipments means it is most likely invalid.....but the non interventionist natural beekeepers are still using that old paper to support the theory on non intervention

i have seen similar changes on humidty ...the older measuring equipment itself changed the conditions in the hive therefore the paper's result were flawed

Last edited:
,'
That same issue is in NZ forum now.

Natural beekeepers are always better knowledge. They obey only natural laws.

I have read much about varroa but this is first time when I read this kind of story.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced of the heat loss argument, I just dont think a quick inspection will significantly change the nest temperature as the majority of the heat is retained in the combs. Tearing apart their nest and temporarily breaking their lines of communication however is bound to be a bit detrimental to their well being, and most old hands are certainly very reluctant to disturb their bees when they're working a flow as they dont want to disturb the bees when they're working, good flows have been a bit few and far between these last couple of seasons round here.

I'm not convinced of the heat loss argument,

You need not convince. It is your hives.

But warniongs to other guys

It is true when air temp is under 17C. Sometimes weathers are lower than proper during swarming time. You should inspect but but and but.
When a fine day comes, you have several swarms in trees.

If you do not lift the frame off from brood nest, you may look things under 10C temp.

a flow as they dont want to disturb the bees when they're working, good flows have been .

That is true that don't go open hives for fun during flow.
But you MUST inspect every week, what is happening during flow. Have they free room there, have they capped, are they going to swarm when hive is too full.

Last edited:
Back