Is everyone as far behind last year as I am? (AT LEAST 2 weeks)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit warmer here today, but still too cold to do any bee bothering. I noticed that the flowers are almost open on my garden pear tree and that the gooseberries in the hedges now have new leaves, but very little in the way of nectar flowers around - still feeding syrup.

A bit warmer here today, but still too cold to do any bee bothering. I noticed that the flowers are almost open on my garden pear tree and that the gooseberries in the hedges now have new leaves, but very little in the way of nectar flowers around - still feeding syrup.

The bees are flying steadily in drizzle this afternoon. The blackthorn in the hedgerows to the West is open, the grass field to the South has dandelions coming into flower and the willow to the North is flowering. If it was dryer and warmer the apiary would be heaving.

I was looking through some records to see when they arrived last year. .Iam so organised I didn't find anything! No sign of them here yet.

Husband is obsessed with seeing them before me, every year :)
I usually spot Swifts first though.
Last year I heard the first Cuckoo though. What stupid games we play :)

Thanks Snelgrove
This is the start of my second season in this great country, appalled at the lateness compared with previous years in north/west Yorks, Pussy willow just coming out, daffodils almost in bloom.
Its good to get local information, one can become paranoid about the conditions for the middle of April
when on your own,

The only two days warm enough to inspect my hives have been work days, so haven`t opened them up at all since we fed fondant last year. Plenty of bees flying though.
Have ordered another brood box , and have been making frames. Fingers crossed.

Cold and wet here today - no sign of the bees - forecast to be colder over the weekend max of about 9C. Typical English Spring weather I suppose. Won't be long before the plum blossom is out though, by the look of things.

Pouring down here. I was going to put a new stand down on one of my out apiaries, I checked the hive two days ago. Lots of bees, brood, and food.:)

So far, so good.

Two more hives to check.

Last Year was exceptional with such a dry warm march which enabled colonies built up quickly, things are a little slower this year and so am I, but when the time comes it's all hands on deck and off we go

Back