Is Chinese honey legally honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is we allow manufacturers to use Chinese honey as sweeteners,Rowes for instance blatantly tell you on the label that the honey comes from EU and other sources.
Just a thought:- why don't we as beekeepers start a campaign to reinforce the splendid proven health benefits of eating local honey, the following is a label/slogan we should all use.
"How do you know its Honey if you don't know the beekeeper "
As far as I am aware they are a honey "packers" only.

Hearing some disturbing things via back channels about relaxation on medicines and food standards from 1st Jan which could open up flood gates for foreign gloop pretending to be honey.
It is already here!

It’s really all in the taste and aroma....no comparison between local honey and the mass blended guff.
I sold my first ever honey crop last week to one deli and he tasted it and said it was wonderful and bought out my 15 jars.
I returned home for the remaining 5 dozen to another deli where owner said he wanted local( just like the other chap) produce and said if I had anymore he would take the lot.
So folks it seems that local produce is gaining ground fast and I was really chuffed I sold what I had. Now I’ve put 2 hives to the Heather ( might be late but it’s a learning curve)
Well done you for hitting the right nich market!

Artisan honey is wonderful but the way the economy is going I can't see many disadvantaged families being able to afford such a luxury and it's they that need protecting

Strange, when I was overseeing imports of ginger it came from that obscure bit of China called the Windward islands
I made some rhubarb and ginger jam a couple of months ago using crystallised ginger which I bought from H&B the High Street Health food shop.
Produce of China

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
H&B crystallised ginger produce of China.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Artisan honey is wonderful but the way the economy is going I can't see many disadvantaged families being able to afford such a luxury and it's they that need protecting
I never thought of the honey that my bees produced was artisan....it was just tasty honey “homegrown” in my books, a by product from the bees who I got primarily to pollinate my wee orchard and veg.
I agree that any family irrespective of circumstances should have access to good food, all of us, should be protected from adulterated basic foodstuffs.

Hearing some disturbing things via back channels about relaxation on medicines and food standards from 1st Jan which could open up flood gates for foreign gloop pretending to be honey.

After January 1st would be an opportunity to end the EU/Non EU origin labelling and force bottlers to state the actual country of origin on the label.

Knowing the brexiteers though, they will probably get rid of all origin labelling...

After January 1st would be an opportunity to end the EU/Non EU origin labelling and force bottlers to state the actual country of origin on the label.

Knowing the brexiteers though, they will probably get rid of all origin labelling...
Anything that is generically labelled I avoid. I shop at the Aldi and up here, their meat is mainly sourced from Scotland and other basics like flour, dairy and eggs from the UK and it is a fair price which suits my purse.
Only thing is their garlic is from PRC and it’s one thing I have difficulty in growing!

Last edited:
As far as I am aware they are a honey "packers" only.
A manufacturer is a person or a registered company which makes finished products from raw materials in a bid to make a profit. ... just a thought!

A manufacturer is a person or a registered company which makes finished products from raw materials in a bid to make a profit. ... just a thought!
Maybe that’s why many people are choosing to eat local foodstuffs including honey which may be slightly more expensive, but as it is so tasty you require less of it.
Quality beats quantity in this case.....or I will even do without, rather than eat some of the bland guff on offer.

It is all bait academic to me. I am doing my very best to buy nothing sold or manufactured in China. If we could all stop buying from them (and it is very, very difficult) then they might stop manufacturing plagues.

Me too. We need to make a point of telling sellers why we're not buying their stuff.

More likely to insist on it to encourage “made in Britain”.
Or is that just wishful thinking?🙄

It is here already in spades! We just don't test for it!

I would have thought it will be all about buying British! Buying local has already started.

I would have thought it will be all about buying British! Buying local has already started.
Would that you are correct, sad thing is the uk government has steadily denuded our manufacturing/production bases for years through its policies, intentional or not, and now they blame anything and everyone else for their folly. The last 10 or so has seen mainly big multinational types succeed on the backs of smaller innovative ones. There isn't very much "British" left.

Latest posts

Back