Is burying wax alternative to incinerator?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchu

House Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi
I don’t have have an incinerator. Would burying old combs be ok in terms of getting rid of them? I’m assuming that one shouldn’t just dispose of them in household bins, but I don’t know.
Also, is there a place/company where beekeepers take old combs to be incinerated in the South East?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
I don’t have have an incinerator. Would burying old combs be ok in terms of getting rid of them? I’m assuming that one shouldn’t just dispose of them in household bins, but I don’t know.
Also, is there a place/company where beekeepers take old combs to be incinerated in the South East?
Thanks
Where in the SE are you?

Hertfordshire
Bit far for me to assist but it's not too hard to do.

Options generally:

• Box with a fine mesh/muslin across it, comb on top of mesh and lid on, apply heat such as with steamer or putting it in the oven at around 65C. Easier to remove wax if there is a thin layer of water underneath IMO.
  • Box with a sheet of glass you've rescued from a tip. Similar concept to the above (although see what solar wax extractors look like from some of the kit retailers if you want to refine the design).
  • Wrap it in a pillowcase/teatowel/muslin, weigh down with a brick, put in a deep pan, cover with water and low simmer, do not boil.

Bit far for me to assist but it's not too hard to do.

Options generally:

• Box with a fine mesh/muslin across it, comb on top of mesh and lid on, apply heat such as with steamer or putting it in the oven at around 65C. Easier to remove wax if there is a thin layer of water underneath IMO.
  • Box with a sheet of glass you've rescued from a tip. Similar concept to the above (although see what solar wax extractors look like from some of the kit retailers if you want to refine the design).
  • Wrap it in a pillowcase/teatowel/muslin, weigh down with a brick, put in a deep pan, cover with water and low simmer, do not boil.
Thanks, Wilco!
Do you think that a hair dryer could be used instead of a steamer or the oven?

Thanks, Wilco!
Do you think that a hair dryer could be used instead of a steamer or the oven?
Probably would work but the key is heating the wax to about 65 degrees. I like the oven as it's relatively efficient (designed to be an insulated box) so I can leave it for a couple of hours. Hair dryer may work but likely quite energy and time intensive by comparison. Obviously the solar option is the least!

I reclaim the wax in solar melter and as JBK has said just simply burn anything remaining in small pile to ensure an nasties are killed off. The rubbish is then added to the compost.

I reclaim the wax in solar melter and as JBK has said just simply burn anything remaining in small pile to ensure an nasties are killed off. The rubbish is then added to the compost.

I put the waste straight on the compost after extracting the wax, but my compost heaps can get quite hot (60°C or even higher) so I'm not really worried about any pathogens. If you've burnt it and don't have a compost heap then it can probably go straight on the garden. It's unlikely to compost any further at that point.

James

Excluding the weather, I struggle to get my solar wax melter hot enough to melt the wax. I’ve got a clear Perspex lid rather than glass. Could that be the reason? Or do others use Perspex with no problems.

Excluding the weather, I struggle to get my solar wax melter hot enough to melt the wax. I’ve got a clear Perspex lid rather than glass. Could that be the reason? Or do others use Perspex with no problems.
Single pane of greenhouse glass on top of an insulated box ...as soon as you have a day when the sun shines for a few hours ... works a treat. Look what my solar wax melter (a DIY Blue Peter/Kingspan construction) did to the thermometer ... Fortunately, there was no wax in there at the time !wax melter 1.jpgWax Melter 2.jpgWax Melter 2.jpg

Thanks. Mine is very similar to yours. Must be the Perspex lid then.
I've never tried using perspex as the lid - but if that is the only difference (and you are in the same sort of climate as me down here in Fareham) it's the one thing you can change and see if things improve.

I really want to build a stand that allows the melter to be rotated as the sun moves round so I can use it on the days that are less sunny and the sun is lower in the sky but in summer, when the sun is high in the sky, it's not a problem

Back