Ipm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPM

• Oxalic vaping & Organic (Apiguard, Apilife Var, Thymovar)

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Oxalic vaping & Chemical (Apistan, Apitraz, Bayvarol, MAQS)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Oxalic trickling & Organic (Apiguard, Apilife Var, Thymovar)

• Oxalic trickling & Chemical (Apistan, Apitraz, Bayvarol, MAQS)

• Organic (Apiguard, Apilife Var, Thymovar) & Chemical (Apistan, Apitraz, Bayvarol, MAQS)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GaryB

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
For those keepers that use IPM, or not as the case may be, I would be interested to evaluate which methods you find most effective, and which combination you use.

Last edited:
Rather more options than those listed.

Do you class oxalic as 'organic'or 'chemical'?

I would only use hard chemicals in an 'emergency' situation.

There is far more to IPM than the above simplistic treatment options.

None of the above too. Just Vaping with oxalic acid, which i would call organic! strictly speaking it is organic.

Just oxalic for me though maybe I could add arranging splits so that you can zap'em when there is no capped brood

Rather more options than those listed.

Do you class oxalic as 'organic'or 'chemical'?

I would only use hard chemicals in an 'emergency' situation.

There is far more to IPM than the above simplistic treatment options.

Yes, I take your point that oxalic is technically organic. What other methods do you employ in IPM?

Don't forget the use of drone sacrificial comb.

Which according to LASI gives has very little effect

It takes out about 50℅ though, so at least knocks them back by a generation( working on them doubling each generation) I use it mid season in the hope it'll keep late season drones a bit healthier for those pre September treatment matings.

What other methods do you employ in IPM?

I think you need to do some reading. What 'IPM' stands for, as a start. First and last words are important (no point in doing anything if there is no problem, for a start).

Organo-phosphates and others are actually organic compounds. Chemicals are combinations of elements in fixed proportions, so both thymol and oxalic acid are, indeed, chemicals. Organic chemistry is the study of carbon chemistry, as opposed to inorganic chemistry,. Question might arise as to whether limestone is 'organic', of course!

But nevermind, I don't think there have been many un-flawed polls on the forum previously. A simple 'yes' or 'no' to a single simple question is about the best way to have an un-flawed poll. Multiple irrelevannt options are the worst.

Back