Introducing Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi. Would you mind taking a look at this video clip I recorded?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vksc4qsiqmay3h/Video 02-06-2017, 16 30 39.mov?dl=0

I'm a bit of a novice with queen introduction and I'm not 100% sure that they are showing accepting behaviour. I can't see them biting the cage and I saw a few tongues so I think they may be trying to feed the queen rather than trying to kill her. I thought I'd post to hear others opinion. Thank you

Happy Beekeeping

It looks like they are just a bit excited that they now have a queen . If you have the fondant cap in the cage i would just let the bees get on with releasing her over the next couple of days . Just close them up for a week and check for eggs after that .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

As of today the fondant is around halfway down. These white cages have a deeper fondant plug than the yellow ones allowing a bit more time for the bees to chew through. Cheers!

It may have been the workers inside the cage but it looked to me like they were biting the cage

Ok. I'll take a closer look

No sign of a dead queen outside of the hive yet so I'm hoping this is a good sign

I opened up a hive with a queen intro cage in it and there seemed to be a ton of bees around and over the cage.

She has been in there 4 days, so I still broke the seal on the fondant plug.

Was this a bad idea?

Should I go back in and cover it up again for a few days? Or rethink my introduction all together?

Should they have been completely ignoring her if they had accepted her?

And how long now before they eat through the plug? What's my options!?

I opened up a hive with a queen intro cage in it and there seemed to be a ton of bees around and over the cage.

She has been in there 4 days, so I still broke the seal on the fondant plug.

Was this a bad idea?

Should I go back in and cover it up again for a few days? Or rethink my introduction all together?

Should they have been completely ignoring her if they had accepted her?

And how long now before they eat through the plug? What's my options!?

Patience.

I went through the hive in the sun. I found one sealed queen cell... and randomly ONE egg in a queen cup but no other eggs at all. There probably shouldn't be any in there by now... so i deleted the egg/queen cup and sealed queen cell. And blocked the fondant plug for the time being.

Thoughts

Back