introducing new Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I was looking to replace my Queen this year due to the fact that although she is a prolific layer she appeared to be getting through the qx and laying in the supers, but could locate one in the area. I have now been offered a mated Queen from a reputable breeder. Being late in the season I am unsure how to introduce her. I do not want to kill off the old one so near winter incase the new one is not accepted. Would I be better create a nuc with the old one until I am sure all is well with the new one and if I decide to keep the old one would a nuc survive ok during the winter.

Is there a problem with your QE? Has she always been able to get through?

Qx looks ok and tried replacements- queen is small so suspected she was getting through due to brood in supers

How many hives have you?
You could make a nuc up and overwinter her there.
If only the one then split and overwinter two nucs?

Do you have a plan for the brood in the supers?

Is there any possibility you have two queens in your hive? If you make two nucs. with two supers, especially if they are poly, the chances of both surviving the winter are excellent. I assume you have but a single brood box.

Is it just worker brood in the supers or just drone brood?

I would advocate making up a nuc with your existing queen - three frames of emerging brood plus adhering bees and a couple more frames of bees shaken in would make a very strong Nuc to overwinter - just be sure to leave a similar amount of brood in the original hive. Judicious feeding (not overfeeding) will help them get established.

Expecting delivery of a new Queen late tomorrow evening. It will be too late to split the colony into two, so it will have to be left until Sunday. What is the safest way to keep the Queen for 12-24hrs in her cage. Will she have to be kept in the hive for warmth and if so will that not agitate the bees and queen in that hive. Or can she be kept indoors.

Put the cage somewhere warm....ish and dark. A drawer is fine. Put a drop of water on the top....just a drop, don't flood her.
She has endured much worse in the post. She will be fine

Expecting delivery of a new Queen late tomorrow evening. It will be too late to split the colony into two, so it will have to be left until Sunday. What is the safest way to keep the Queen for 12-24hrs in her cage. Will she have to be kept in the hive for warmth and if so will that not agitate the bees and queen in that hive. Or can she be kept indoors.
Keep her in a warm dark quiet place in your house, just to be on the safe side dip your finger in a glass of water and slide it across the top of the queen cage.

Latest posts

Back