introduced queen-"drumming " noise in nuc box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi
My introduced queen has eaten out of the fondant box within the 3 frame swarm Nuc i added her to,
I Couldnt spot her today but hear a distinct localised "drumming " from inside .

Is this likely to be her ?

Thanks

B.

It’s the bees in the hive that eat into the fondant
And No it’s not the queen. I hear drumming quite frequently. Never figured out what it was.

I once was oh so clever and built a bait hive out of 2' thick polystyrene slabs.
I left a caste swarm in there to get going but was perplexed by the constant ticking sound.

By the time it was 'snowing' ( in July?) I figured something was up.
They had excavated the the sides and built two full sized combs in the new space.
IMG_20210707_123704921_HDR.jpg

Hi
My introduced queen has eaten out of the fondant box within the 3 frame swarm Nuc i added her to,
I Couldnt spot her today but hear a distinct localised "drumming " from inside .

Is this likely to be her ?

Thanks

B.
It’s the bees in the hive that eat into the fondant
And No it’s not the queen. I hear drumming quite frequently. Never figured out what it was.

Wasn't there a thought last year that it was something to do with beating wings?

Waggle dance on resonating comb (dance floor)

Unrelated to queen introduction

Not a problem

One of my hives always has a loud drumming noise, I assumed it was drones doing something but never figured out what!

One of my hives always has a loud drumming noise, I assumed it was drones doing something but never figured out what!
I have the same noise coming from one of my hives.
It's been discussed before on here like a creaking / drumming noise but the discussion just goes off on a tangent with people making glib remarks about various bands or musicians taking up home in the hive.
I'd love to know what it is but I guess we never will.

I have the same noise coming from one of my hives.
It's been discussed before on here like a creaking / drumming noise but the discussion just goes off on a tangent with people making glib remarks about various bands or musicians taking up home in the hive.
I'd love to know what it is but I guess we never will.
I don't think any of us have any idea and that is why we make glib comments, but like you I would love to know the answer :unsure:

I don't think any of us have any idea and that is why we make glib comments, but like you I would love to know the answer :unsure:
Maybe glib was a little strong, more off the cuff.
However, I've been trawling t'internet and found a possible answer.
A study recons it's a call to action by the older bees to the young less motivated bees to get up and go.
So basically Buckfast bee younglings are lazy sods, a bit like my 19 yr old daughter.

I’ve watched bees do the “ wake up get to work” bit on the frames. Never imagined they made much noise.

I’ve watched bees do the “ wake up get to work” bit on the frames. Never imagined they made much noise.
Never been on board when I was giving the crew an early morning muster then!

Maybe glib was a little strong, more off the cuff.
However, I've been trawling t'internet and found a possible answer.
A study recons it's a call to action by the older bees to the young less motivated bees to get up and go.
So basically Buckfast bee younglings are lazy sods, a bit like my 19 yr old daughter.
It's not just buckies if thats the case; I have some Irish amm and also some carnies, they all drum periodically as do the local yokels.

I took-up the practical side of beekeeping this year - so I'm a newbee...

But have been fascinated by the sounds coming from the hive during inspections.
I had one inspection where upon sliding in the last broodbox frame I heard an almost pure tone amongst the general hum of the hive. I did localize it as close as I dared putting my ear close to the frames as they were aggy that day and tested by putting the roof on/off but the tone remained. I know something in the hive generated the tone but I don't know exactly what and I've not heard it again.

There are various examples on YouTube of hive sounds including: quacks, toots, trumpeting, staccato buzzing etc... all very interesting for a newbee.

I've done various Internet searching for use of acoustics for hive monitoring and come across only a few with even less outside the Academic paywall and available for the general public. If anyone has links to such papers I'd be grateful.

Noninvasive Beehive Monitoring through Acoustic Data

On the many rainy days I have considered what it would take to put microphones into my poly hive and collect data to play with. The publicly available signal analysis tools available in Python and R are on first glance reasonable for an amateur initial attempt.

Last edited:
I recorded the sound from the hive this afternoon. I could hear it a good 10' away. Sorry for the background noise / distortion I used a free app to convert the 3gp file to video so I could upload it. The noise is the one that sounds like a dying pigeon.

Attachments

• record202308251434203gpp.MP4
    70.6 KB

Latest posts

Back