International beekeeping in the U.K.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kighill

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Forever more.
One of the many things I enjoy about this hobby is the interesting people you meet.
In the last week I have met a Bulgarian Beekeeper and his family whom had contacted me asking if I could supply them with some bees and put them into there Dadant Blatt hive.
My answer of course was yes (I do like a challenge)
I transferred from a National 14x12 into the Dadant the frames were huge and surprisingly very cheap to buy.
In Bulgaria the frames are supplied fully made up and wired fitted with wax they still only cost £1 each. The frames were of excellent quality.
My next visitor was from Latvia another genuinely nice gent.
I was surprised he had caught a couple of buses from Sheffield arriving in Ravenshead with his backpack and carrying a cortex Nucleus.
We transferred a very nice Nucleus of Buckfast F1 into the box and sealed them up for for transport. I could not let myself see him catching two buses to get home so took him to the local bus station.
I informed him I would phone my wife and tell her I had a slightly crazy Latvian gent catch a bus 40/50 miles to fetch some bees. His reply being all beekeepers are a little crazy!!!
Fully agree with this comment.
Further to the above this year I have taught a surgeon how to clip wings on a queen and met a motorcycle trike maker who could easily pass for a member of Zz Top.
What a great hobby we have.

Latest posts

Back