Insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am going to move some hives to another site in the next few weeks. In the past I have always kept my bees on my own land and insurance for third party and theft were covered by the household policy. I think I should have third party insurance on my out apiary and possible theft cover. Who do members use for insurance and the costs please.

If you are an BBKA member then you are covered for third party liability as long as you have paid the appropriate fee for the number of hives you have.

Have you checked with your household insurer? I'm not sure they would automatically cover third party liability for your bees.

It's probably not worth insuring the hives at out apiaries, none of mine are, but all the equipment at our branch apiary is covered by Towergate 'all risks' cover. I'm not sure if this is available to individuals.

Details are in the members section of the BBKA website.

I am a member of the BBKA and have paid for more colonies than I have. I have been told by BBKA , individuals can be insured by Towergate, but I will contact NFU to see if the hives are covered on our smallholder policy.

Look at the National Farmers Union "Smallholders " policy
It would NOT cover you as a beekeeper against losses if your bees were unfortunate enough to get American Foul Brood, or any other disease ( not 100% sure on this as fortunately have never had to make a claim), but it DOES provide cover against loss of bees and hives and equipment against theft/fire /flood, on or off of your property.
Also giver full cover for "producers" providing that you comply to the letter of the law/rules/regs, this includes selling to wholesalers and third parties, plus gives comprehensive cover for selling at food festivals, farmers markets etc etc.

For food production you would have to hold the correct certification and have regular inspections of your clean room etc.
Also covers against Jo public attempting to sue you for allowing your bees to sting or otherwise annoy them!

HACCP and risk assessments must also be in place if you allow the public onto you property / apiaries.

I now only pay the £25 to BBKA and do not bother with the BDI ( plus we run 40+ colonies and fall outside their remit)

I am a member of the BBKA and have paid for more colonies than I have. I have been told by BBKA , individuals can be insured by Towergate, but I will contact NFU to see if the hives are covered on our smallholder policy.

Addedendum to last post
SWMBO says we had to request that our bee and equipment be covered, but as bees are now regarded as "Food producing Stock" the NFU would cover them.

The "Food producing Stock" definition seems to have caused a lot of of beekeeperers to potentially fall foul of the law.
Over the gate sales of honey may not be affected... but if the Cottager moves to bigger things the local council health and DEFRA may pounce!

I now only pay the £25 to BBKA and do not bother with the BDI ( plus we run 40+ colonies and fall outside their remit)

If you have over 40 colonies, nothing is covered by BBKA membership, BDI is a separate thing, and third party cover is invalid.

If you have over 40 colonies, nothing is covered by BBKA membership, BDI is a separate thing, and third party cover is invalid.
:hairpull:
That should bee a salutatory WARNING to any beekeepere daring to keep more than 40 colonies, and is the reason why I insure via the NFU
( plus it is a mutual company so that the policyholders own it!)

I pay the £25 to BBKA as it is a charitable organisation and produces a nice monthly glossy magazine and allows me to meet up with other beekeeperers and eat lemon and honey cake!:icon_204-2:

On this subject, I used to belong to the local association where insurance was included. I no longer belong and my bees are in an out apiary away from everywhere. Should I reconsider insurance and what sort of cover would I have and do I need it?

It is interesting that when joining the local association, they said I would be insured.
However, now I have joined, despite chasing, I have not heard from them for nearly two months (not even confirmation of payment!). This is likely to be my only year with them!

I have joined the BFA!

That should bee a salutatory WARNING to any beekeepere daring to keep more than 40 colonies, and is the reason why I insure via the NFU
( plus it is a mutual company so that the policyholders own it!)

What sort of insurance are you buying, foodstuffs? How much does it cost?

What sort of insurance are you buying, foodstuffs? How much does it cost?

Household insurance + the Smallholder bit ( Farm machinery and equipment against fire theft, outbuildings, pollytunnels and greenhouses) + producers ( Public liability especially... sales of Honey wax propolis etc.. a lot of " food fares" "farmers markets" etc , now insist on this level of cover) + third party and product liability + as an addition beehives and bees against fire theft vandals in home AND out aparies.
(There is a clause stipulating the level of security for out aparies, mine are relatively secure as access is gained by having to get through locked gates/ through farm / gardens etc)

£800 last year ( less a no claims discount)

Last edited:
join the BFA and its included icanhopit

Just wondering who the underwriters are for the BFA insurance.
It seems from past investigations that I have undertaken in seeking out various insurances
( Specifically Effacacy Insurance for the physical security industry, some years ago now)
that many companies re - insure the risk with another company, thereby taking and collecting the premium and acting as a fee taking broker, which all adds to the customers costs.

I ended up insuring direct with the insurers ( Stewart Wrightson?) and saved quite a few bucks.

Latest posts

Back