Inspection from Hell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I inspected last night at around 5pm and it was warm around 18 deg C and humid. Mine were in a foul mood too. I wanted to see if they had started to draw comb in the super I put on last week. Got the lid off off and then the super, then I unstuck the QE and took out frame number 1. Lots to see and a good sign of the Q laying, but the bees seemed agitated. I worked into the BB until frame 6 and I got stung twice on my back then one on the top of my right buttock!! OUCH!! I saw four Q cups empty but didnt see the Q.
I decided that was enough, so I applied a little bit of smoke to settle them back in so I could put the QE back on and the smoker was going out!!!
Closed up and said goodnight!
Now nursing a rather swollen back and bottom!!

You may have missed a very early queen cell and they could swarm just before the weekend, I would not wait until the weekend and go back in Thursday to AS providing you are confident you got all the QC's and if not sooner.

I didnt miss any, I'm confident of that. Thats why I take the queen out and put her to one side. So that I can shake the bees off each frame and give it a proper going over....

I will probably try to do it earlier though....just in case..

I remember the day when my wife had to hose me down in the garden before she would let me back in the house with bees inside my veil and clothes! I wouldn't have minded too much but she made me strip off too! You're not coming in here with bees on you she said!
I think she enjoyed it really!
E

Back