Inspection after 3 weeks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff4051

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 plus 3 communities
Checked main hive after new queen emerged 3 weeks ago, only pollen and honey, no brood no queen cells, no queen. 2nd hive which was a split from main hive with capped queen cells in,(mentor took 2 cells for his queenless hives) three weeks ago couldn't see queen but capped brood so believe queen is there. One capped queen cell so we removed it to main hive. Hopefully done the right thing.?????

If your 2nd hive has only capped brood then it doesn't have a queen. There is no mated queen otherwise there would be eggs and larvae. There is no virgin otherwise the queen cell would have been ripped down by now.

Your first hive is unlikely to be queenless. I would return the queen cell before it gets killed.

Ahhh I see what ur thinking, if there was a queen present surely she would laid some eggs by now. The second hive might not have a queen now as there was a capped Q cell. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

It's a waiting game Jeff, let the bees tell you. Do they seem anxious? Are they busily going about their duties?

Take Chris B's advice.

Yes acting normally foraging quiet, yes I can read your mind you think there is a Q present.

So I have 2 choices,
1. Leave what we have done Queen will kill new virgin or Q will hatch and take over Q- hive???? new hive have brood one will be fed royal jelly and hopefull new Q

2. Replace capped Q cell to new hive.

new hive have brood one will be fed royal jelly and hopefull new Q

No. You said it had sealed brood only. They have no way of making a new queen. If what you've said is accurate they are now hopelessly queenless.

Latest posts

Back