insect apocalypse

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would say ZERO.
Unless you subscribe to strange reincarnation beliefs .
Proof of which would be interesting :D

Nothing so esoteric
I was thinking more on an atomic or maybe “Quarkian” level.

Well we all came from stars, it's what passes for a religion for me in that one day I, or at least my component parts, will return to them. Unlike the beliefs of those that are religious I, of course, won't know anything about it.

I just read that humus would will be finish in the world in 60 years. 90% out of Food grows in the humus.soil.

I've just found time to read the Dave Goulson essay that started off this thread "Insect apocalypse and why it matters"

A lot of thought provoking stuff in there and I recommend it to all beekeepers.

Two quotes stood out:
  • "The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to keep all the parts" - Aldo Leopold
  • Erhlich and Erhlich famously likened the loss of species from an ecological community to the random popping of rivets from the wing of an aeroplane. It might continue to fly for a while, but if enough rivets are removed then at some point there will be a catastrophic failure.

Everybody who uses insecticide should also read this short essay

CVB

Nothing so esoteric
I was thinking more on an atomic or maybe “Quarkian” level.

You need more than a few million years for that to happen. I just read a book my (dead) father had lying around about the Reimann Hypothesis. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prime-Obsession-Bernhard-Greatest-Mathematics/dp/0452285259 for the morbidly curious: it gets in just in range of A-level maths and is nicely written). There's a number in there 10 to the (ten to the ten thousand) which is genuinely big and might start to cover it. Oops there go the chattering classes again...

You need more than a few million years for that to happen. I just read a book my (dead) father had lying around about the Reimann Hypothesis. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prime-Obsession-Bernhard-Greatest-Mathematics/dp/0452285259 for the morbidly curious: it gets in just in range of A-level maths and is nicely written). There's a number in there 10 to the (ten to the ten thousand) which is genuinely big and might start to cover it. Oops there go the chattering classes again...

Lost on me. O level maths here and only just.
I’m one of the many who read Hawking’s A Brief History of Time” with little understanding. I don’t get Schrödinger’s Cat either.

Lost on me. O level maths here and only just.
I’m one of the many who read Hawking’s A Brief History of Time” with little understanding. I don’t get Schrödinger’s Cat either.
CSE grade 2 for me and I have never read those books. Having said that, I needed to learn Binary and Hexidecimal in my career as a Network Engineer. I even had a Binary watch for a while but I ditched it as it took me several seconds to convert the read out to decimal. :(

It is glad to tel to the German professor, that 10 the most important cultivation plants in the world do not need insect pollination.

And COTTON uses 16% of the worlds total output of pesticides for a mere 2.3% of the worlds productive growing space!

Why are the planets tastiest food products insect pollinated ?

Yeghes da

Back