insect apocalypse

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And COTTON uses 16% of the worlds total output of pesticides for a mere 2.3% of the worlds productive growing space!

Why are the planets tastiest food products insect pollinated ?

Yeghes da

Like salmon

Lost on me. O level maths here and only just.
I’m one of the many who read Hawking’s A Brief History of Time” with little understanding. I don’t get Schrödinger’s Cat either.

I have to pipe up here and say that I do understand the Schrödinger’s Cat thought experiment and I read A Brief History of Time all the way through and mostly understood the final chapter too. I might add though that I can put Cert Maths (Open) after my name and have done an intensive physics course with the Open University (before their prices went throigh the roof) so perhaps I have a slight advantage.

I have to pipe up here and say that I do understand the Schrödinger’s Cat thought experiment and I read A Brief History of Time all the way through and mostly understood the final chapter too. I might add though that I can put Cert Maths (Open) after my name and have done an intensive physics course with the Open University (before their prices went throigh the roof) so perhaps I have a slight advantage.

I can spey a cat

Like ShinySideUp, I too ride an unfaired motorcycle, sometimes over long distances. The decrease in bug splatter is very noticeable over the last two years.

I've also noticed far fewer moths during summer evenings, no Hummingbird Hawk moths at all , which is the first time for 20 years, and although there were many more Peacock and Red Admiral butterflies this summer I didn't see a single Tortoiseshell and very few Meadow Browns.

No need to think further than neonics. Oh, and the GM loonies that develop insecticidal plants which they would like to let loose in the environment.

This is, of course, on top of continued use of chemical fertilisers to increase crop productivity, at the expense of humus.

Basically all down to humans. Too many of us on the planet.

BTW, our star will not explode - it would need a mass of about 2 1/2 times to go the super nova way. Ours will first gently transform into a red giant and envelope the Earth within its still rather hot (but cooler than now) increased volume. Later it will ‘shrivel’ to become a white dwarf...

No need to think further than neonics. Oh, and the GM loonies that develop insecticidal plants which they would like to let loose in the environment.

This is, of course, on top of continued use of chemical fertilisers to increase crop productivity, at the expense of humus.

Basically all down to humans. Too many of us on the planet.

Yes...

(strange ER don't mention that)

Apologies for very offtopic...mods delete if you think appropriate..

Back