Incubator for Queen Rearing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Done a search of the forum that has proved inconclusive. I'm going to try QR next year and am starting to pull my kit together. I was looking to buy an incubator, nothing massive but good enough to put my sealed QC's in. Seen a few YouTooobe vids who say even Brainsea temp control is not as good as it should be which is a worry.

What do you use and what do you recommend please? Noting I might be crap at it and need to sell on the kit, I have only a modest budget.

Thanks

Done a search of the forum that has proved inconclusive. I'm going to try QR next year and am starting to pull my kit together. I was looking to buy an incubator, nothing massive but good enough to put my sealed QC's in. Seen a few YouTooobe vids who say even Brainsea temp control is not as good as it should be which is a worry.

What do you use and what do you recommend please? Noting I might be crap at it and need to sell on the kit, I have only a modest budget.

Thanks
We had Brinsea incubator for hen eggs. Temperature control was extremely accurate, normally within 0.5 degrees of the set point.

Shame it can't be modified to take up to 15 there's one one FB Mkt Place for £15 :(
Just wondering why you actually need an incubator in particular if your just trying some Qrearing.

Just wondering why you actually need an incubator in particular if your just trying some Qrearing.
Technically I don't but my personal circumstances next year might dictate and/or bring in a number of personal factors that using an incubator might mitigate the risks down for me to make it a success. Assuming I can get one at a decent price. of course.

Last edited:
Thanks I always like recommendations. Sadly its shipping from China and given it looks likely to even my untrained eye that its just about to kick off between China and the USA will impact on shipping I reckon. I'll keep a watching brief tho and see how it goes.

Jolanta uses a Brinsea one....its absolutely fine. No need to worry about degrees of satisfactory..good enough is good enough....and going even finer in temp control just increases cost for no perceptible gain.

Thanks Murray, as ever your advice is always welcome and spot on. I'll do battle with swmbo FB Mkt place later

I made one for £20. Used a polystyrene box used to transport frozen food, a 12” tube heater and STC 3028 dual temp / humidity controller. Temp wired to the heater to control temp, humidity just to monitor the level which is obtained by placing a jar of water next to the heater. I can do 20 cells at a time

I made one for £20. Used a polystyrene box used to transport frozen food, a 12” tube heater and STC 3028 dual temp / humidity controller. Temp wired to the heater to control temp, humidity just to monitor the level which is obtained by placing a jar of water next to the heater. I can do 20 cells at a time
Would you have any pics of the setup please @Wingy? I have put a bid on a 2nd hand Brisnea but if that falls I can build one to my exact specs.

Look at the RCom range, if you are lucky enough you may get one a the secondhand sites.
I managed to pick up a 2nd hand Brisnea this morning. Its only a small one but gonna try it this year, see how I get on and take it from there. With my current resources I can realistically only deal with 15 Qcs at the time and maybe do 2 batches in the season weather permitting. Pointless me making lots of splits and nucs if I can't sell them and end up with more hives than I want.

Latest posts

Back