In the Outdoor Workshop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In the outdoor workshop the bee box went up.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 144
  • FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3010.JPG
    IMG_3010.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 125
Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a job getting it up there.
Stan is fearless up that ladder......... like a rat up a drainpipe
Daughter and I belayed the box pulling down while he guided it onto the brackets.
Pargyle........it is painted inside with layers and layers of propolis.
It has two bungs in place of the two entrances to stop wasps getting in before swarming season.

It was a job getting it up there.
Stan is fearless up that ladder......... like a rat up a drainpipe
Daughter and I belayed the box pulling down while he guided it onto the brackets.
Pargyle........it is painted inside with layers and layers of propolis.
It has two bungs in place of the two entrances to stop wasps getting in before swarming season.

I get vertigo stood on a milk crate so Stan is about 500% up my esteem rating !

Got to ask why?

Never done it so no doubt lost thousands.

Always put them where it is handy for ME.

Seems to work pretty well..........

KISS

PH

whats the approx weight and volume of the box?

It's about 55 litres. I know it's too big but I got my measurements wrong. Never mind, bees go into compost bins. Too late now. As for weight, hmmmm too heavy. Elf n safety? There were three of us. One of us would have been ok to call an ambulance

when given a choice between high and low identical boxes, the bees choose high. High has evolutionary advantages when the nest is inside the tree
  1. above snow levels
  2. small predators of the nest that can get in the entrance are more exposed to cold in winter and their own predators

Last edited:
when given a choice between high and low identical boxes, the bees choose high. High has evolutionary advantages when the nest is inside the tree
  1. above snow levels
  2. small predators of the nest that can get in the entrance are more exposed to cold in winter and their own predators

I don't think it is all about ground based mammals. V.velutina (which is a bee predator) makes its nest very high in the canopy of trees according to the photos/videos I have seen. However, bees are a woodland creature and make use of almost any opportunity they find.

I don't think it is all about ground based mammals. V.velutina (which is a bee predator) makes its nest very high in the canopy of trees according to the photos/videos I have seen. However, bees are a woodland creature and make use of almost any opportunity they find.

Never said it was exhaustive... e.g. in a forest the higher up you are the nearer you are to the blooms on the trees, or
Navigation by the Sun requires travel above tree top height.

but strictly speaking these two require not height above the ground but a small distance from the top.

25Kg and 7metres up.
I'll have to send Stan up the ladder to get the bungs out in a couple of weeks

Back