Improving Vision with Grafting Glasses or magnifiers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plenty of honey

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
260 + (Nucs and Honey production)
Can anyone advise me on their experiences with magnifying glasses of similar? I dont seem to haver a problem with the larvae i am grafting, or am i? I can see them so perhaps that is too big. With the help of said magnifiers i will get better queens? Can anyone help with type, value and price guide. I have seen a really cheap pair for about £10 but not sure what most use if any??? Happy to spend more but just dont have a clue what i should get. Imagine surgeon types are very pricey??
Thanks in advance,
Richard

My suggestion would be that you have a go with an LED torch, flexy-stand lamp or head-torch.

LED because it gives you a bright light without noticeable heat (much more cheaply than old 'cold light' solutions).
Also some LEDs give a little bit of UV, which seems to show up eggs and larvae even better.
Torches are cheaper, but having two hands free is helpful ... so an LED head torch or (mains) "reading light" may be worthwhile.
But certainly, try with a torch to see what you can see.

A bright light because that helps your eyes to do the best they can (it improves your visual acuity).
Then see if you still need magnification.

Oddly, for grafting (according to Roger Patterson) you don't want the very very smallest larvae for grafting. 12/24 hours old is said to be ideal - presumably because they are a bit more robust and easier to manipulate.

Yes, me too, I really struggle with the light and my glasses.

I've been using an led head loupe similar to this one on flea bay. LINK. for tying very small flies down to size 26.
You get 4 or 5 different lens with different magnification. Optical quality is not first class but is pretty good, but not surgical standard. They do the job and won't break the bank.

that's my problem seeing eggs can see larva ok I put it down to my eyes been painted on lol tried a led torch but mastered it yet

Back