Imminent swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
When I started beekeeping three years ago, my wife asked "how much time will it take up" as we lead pretty busy lives and she could see that there was little time for a new hobby. My answer at the time was "about 1 hour a week" on the basis that I wouldn't have more than three hives. Three weeks ago I still had the three original colonies but as of last night, I have four hives and two nucs and was told that "this isn't how it was supposed to be!".
I didn't have the nerve to tell her that I am expecting a delivery of another hive and associated gear in the next few days and I can only hope that it arrives while she is out.
She is obviously not impressed and I was wondering what signals should I look for before she swarms?

empty bank account.

I thought of that - did an A/S on it last week!! Read somewhere that to avoid a swarm, you have the Queen, The house and the money (the brood left years ago) and you need to separate one from the other two!

One sure sign is that the Queen reduces laying or stops altogether. This is to be avoided at all costs, lest hive morale be adversely affected. :)

... to avoid a swarm, you have the Queen, The house and the money (the brood left years ago) and you need to separate one from the other two!

I think you'll pass The Basic.

However, despite the risk of absconding, remember that drone culling is officially frowned upon.

Also, you should be aware that if using a "JBM's mother" type of manipulation, you must take great care that no pheromones from a recently-emerged princess should come into contact with your beekeeping equipment.

I think you'll pass The Basic.

However, despite the risk of absconding, remember that drone culling is officially frowned upon.

Also, you should be aware that if using a "JBM's mother" type of manipulation, you must take great care that no pheromones from a recently-emerged princess should come into contact with your beekeeping equipment.

:icon_204-2:

One sure sign is that the Queen reduces laying or stops altogether. This is to be avoided at all costs, lest hive morale be adversely affected. :)

Must admit that hive morale has been tetchy to say the least and I have been accused of some "stinging" remarks. Might have to test the theroy that drones are freely accepted in to any hive!:D

Remove the old queen and get a nice new queen, perhaps Italian!
They can be bad tempered at times!

But be careful - supersedure can work both ways!
Remove the old queen and get a nice new queen, perhaps Italian!
They can be bad tempered at times!

But apparently they go like a grand national winner once started!!

I don't think she is likely to swarm for a while. Remember reading (in another book) that the Queen slims down beforehand and I haven't seen any sign of that lately!

Surely you need to practice swarm prevention, rather than swarm control.

What can you do to reduce the swarming instinct?

I am thinking of housekeeping and ensuring enough space...

My ex was a good housekeeper, she kept the bloody thing

Read in another book that you very rarely see two queens in the same hive. Just arrived home from work and the bloody mother-in-law is round for dinner.

"But be careful - supersedure can work both ways!"

Jenks, should I be on the look out for drones leaving by the rear door?

I thought of that - did an A/S on it last week!! Read somewhere that to avoid a swarm, you have the Queen, The house and the money (the brood left years ago) and you need to separate one from the other two!

:iagree::sifone:

Chuck her out

Latest posts

Back