Idiots beware..!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
The LPG at filling stations is propane....

Wow! Who'd have thought the P stood for propane, and not butane!

I suppose that will mean more campsite accidents this year, to add to the ones caused by people putting a charcoal barbecue inside a tent. :hairpull:

I dont think he knows that butane is different from propane autogas.

I have no problem with darwin.
Let them fill their boots.

Good God - He's sold about 80 of them .... if they are refilling Camping Gaz containers (which contain a mixture of Butane and Propane and is widely used on the continent) with the appropriate regulator you might get away with it but I would not like to do it - for lots of reasons ! I would be surprised is any UK LPG filling stations would let anyone do it anyway ?

Good God - He's sold about 80 of them .... if they are refilling Camping Gaz containers (which contain a mixture of Butane and Propane and is widely used on the continent) with the appropriate regulator you might get away with it but I would not like to do it - for lots of reasons ! I would be surprised is any UK LPG filling stations would let anyone do it anyway ?

I think he's only sold one or two of the ones for filling the blue butane bottle.
The other ones are for filling propane bottles with autogas which although considered to be naughty by calor gas is OK if done properly.... He doesnt seem to understand that although both gases are LPG that they are different gases and you dont use a butane regulator on a bottle which had been filled with propane... because they are stored at different pressures. His reply to that was that its up to the buyer how they use it and he knows about the pressure and its why he says not to overfill.
There are regulators that will handle both gases but they are remote bulkhead mounted and commected by a high pressure pigtail hose...

Call me an idiot, but this could save some coin. I need a propane refill. Top tip; thanks.

If you look at the other ones he has for sale, they will fill a propane cylinder. I have been using one for year.
Petrol stations are not suppose to allow you to use them and the filling point for the cylinder/bottle is supposed to be secured to the bodywork of the vehicle.

I filled the car up with gas last week and it was .52p per litre.
A 13 kg propane bottle holds 26 litres and costs £27.00 per exchange. A smaller bottle can work out at nearly £2.00 per litre.

Go to google and search "gaslow"

Anyone using propane, in place of butane, indoors are at considerable risk - and probably not covered by any insurance (they think) they may have.

Anyone using propane, in place of butane, indoors are at considerable risk - and probably not covered by any insurance (they think) they may have.

Yep.

I'd forgotten that..Illegal to use propane in domestic premises..

There are loads of products teh same as the original one on ebay. Must be a common practise..

I always thought gas lit barbecues and gas heated caravans were a threat to safety

There are loads of products teh same as the original one on ebay. Must be a common practise..

I always thought gas lit barbecues and gas heated caravans were a threat to safety

not for filling butane bottle with propane there isnt..mainly because its daft stupid and dangerous.

Nothing wrong with gas heating in a caravan as long as you dont have an open flame to burn all the oxygen.

It's an American barbecue. They're all propane. Why is propane seen as so dangerous; can't be the shorter chain (viz methane)?

Higher pressure.

That is certainly a factor but I had an "Asperger's attack" and have googled the heck out of this. Here was one fun result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM0jtD_OWLU

But pressure aside (and the tanks are thicker; once you get to the above stage I don't think there's going to be a lot of difference), propane SHOULD be safer because there is less carbon to make CO. So I think the fear is substitution. Burning butane in a propane appliance is going to be very dangerous indoors; the opposite, much less so. So ban the propane appliances. Also, turns out that "Propane" is not necessarily propane but can contain a high proportion of butane. Which leads to the same logic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane

A friend's neighbour managed to blow up their house using propane gas. Unfortunately, my friend's house was the other half of the semi....

Yep.

I'd forgotten that..Illegal to use propane in domestic premises..

Is it, our gas cooker uses two 47kg red propane gas cylinders, so does everyone else i know that uses gas cylinders for their cooker.

According to this....

LPG remains a popular fuel choice for range cookers, as about 4 million households in the UK currently do not have mains gas.

For cooking you need propane gas, which has a lower boiling point than butane. Never connect a blue cylinder to your cooking appliance.

So are you saying we should connect blue cylinders to our cookers and not the red ones recommended by the cooker manufactures.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back