Identify Dark honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Trying to identify the source of forage that has produced some really good dark honey that's crystal clear 3 months later. Apiary in a rural area east of york with lots of cereal nearby. Trying to identify to plan for future hive locations.

Any clues?

Thanks
Tony

Summer?......in my area Sweet Chestnut and I love it.

Summer?......in my area Sweet Chestnut and I love it.

:iagree::
Quite likely
I don't know about York but but this year has been a stonking great one for chestnut blossom further south

One of my forum mates gave me a jar of his chestnut honey.....Thanks Mark and it was lovely

Sycamore gives me clear dark brown honey. Still runny after two years
E

Sycamore gives me clear dark brown honey. Still runny after two years
E

:iagree:

Chestnut has usually a reddish tinge?
Sea Buckthorn can be dark.
Had some Manuka honey given to me as a gift from Tregothan in Cornwall which had a very dark colouration, however sadly tastes like ordinary supermarket honey, by far too sweet and sugary.

Before the clog dancers start ranting that I only have a couple of hives, I have been a honey officiando long before my first trip into the sky in a glider from Kenly at the age of 12!
Honey was always, and still is, on our breakfast table.

Sweet chestnut must be favourite....
Can be almost black and usually doesn't set for months...
This year I didn't get much to my surprise...even though I had my best crop in 30years...!
I get Sycamore but it's not dark...
Once I got a dark purple crop from Knapweed after the local council reseeded an area of grassland nearby....

Last edited:
Sweet chestnut must be favourite....
Can be almost black and usually doesn't set for months...
This year I didn't get much to my surprise...even though I had my best crop in 30years...!
I get Sycamore but it's not dark...
Once I got a dark purple crop from Knapweed after the local council reseeded an area of grassland nearby....

This is my sycamore.....?pretty dark I would say!
E

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_104231-1040x780.jpg
    IMG_20191218_104231-1040x780.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 70
Sycamore not usually very dark more an amber colour unless tree infested with aphids (in which case get honeydew). Attached a photo of 3 jar composite showing light, medium and dark

edit
sorry
Having problems uploading

Last edited:
Could be a number of sources but I did ask the op if it was a summer crop that may help us narrow it down.

another go at uploading photo

Attachments

• composite light medium and dark.jpg
    composite light medium and dark.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Any buckwheat being grown within range as a green manure cover crop?

You can guess all you like....one sure way of getting to know where it has come from is to look at ( and identify) the pollen it contains down a microscope.
Then you will know for sure....or be left scratching your head saying what the Eff is this stuff.....but at least you will be heading in the right direction.

Agree

Attachments

• Pollen from honey.jpg
    Pollen from honey.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Sycamore Pollen.jpg
    Sycamore Pollen.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 62
Sorry, yes thanks for the replies guys. I'll do some digging

Must have pressed the wrong button sorry, summer crop 100%.

Ok.....do you have sweet chestnut in the area.

Unsure...its an out apiary I've not had chance to scout the area fully. Will have a look, thanks

Latest posts

Back