Hybrid Rape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Only I know :D :D
Is this a viable nectar crop for the bees, I've heard several opinions but does anyone have actual experience of placing bees on hybrid rape crops?

Want to make sure its not only beneficial for the farmer but beneficial for myself and my colonies.

Many Thanks

As far as I know, all rape fields are hybrids. IT means crossing between two rape types.

I have about 40 years experience about harvesting rape fields and living hives to fields.
If some one are afraid of rape nectar, I cannot help.

Last edited:
Good to know I'll be moving my hives up there in 10 days then :D

Finding rape for me this year has been a nightmare most the farmers I know of have stopped growing it due to the beetle and the stuff I do know of already have people on.

Many Thanks

I attended a lecture given to Farmers in Cornwall/Devon/Somerset about neonicotinamide administration on OSR and winter wheat.

I am sure I heard the lecturer say that bees were no longer important because the new genetically modified OSR varieties being used were self/wind pollinated, and that bees were of little importance to winter wheat production as they died in the winter and the ones that did not die hibernated!

I am sure I heard the lecturer say that bees were no longer important because the new genetically modified OSR varieties being used were self/wind pollinated,

OSR has always been considered a self/wind pollinated plant.
It's just being more efficiently "designed" so that the increase in yields (above wind alone) by wild pollinators is a lesser requirement.
Williams IH, Martin AP, White RP. The pollination requirements of oil-seed rape (Brassica napus L.) J Agric Sci. 1986;106(01):27–30.
Zou, Yi et al. “Wild Pollinators Enhance Oilseed Rape Yield in Small-Holder Farming Systems in China.” BMC Ecology 17 (2017): 6. PMC. Web. 17 Apr. 2018.

OSR has always been considered a self/wind pollinated plant.
It's just being more efficiently "designed" so that the increase in yields (above wind alone) by wild pollinators is a lesser requirement.

Hybrid rape is crossing between two different variety.
Hybrid gives high yields. You cannot take seeds from your own hybrid field because hybrid vigour does not work in second generation.

Hybrif seed production needs special arrangements and much beehives to make cross pollination.

bees were of little importance to winter wheat production

I think we can all agree that bees are of no importance to winter or spring sown wheat, barley or any other cereal crop.

You may google "making hybrid canola seed". The thing was invented in Belgium 1989.

There is a treatment that another variety cannot make pollen, and controlled crossing is possible. I must read too those things.

I think we can all agree that bees are of no importance to winter or spring sown wheat, barley or any other cereal crop.

There are 10 the most important food production plants, and no one of them needs insect pollination.

You may google "making hybrid canola seed". The thing was invented in Belgium 1989.

There is a treatment that another variety cannot make pollen, and controlled crossing is possible. I must read too those things.
They maintain 3 lines, one for pollen production and two other lines to produce a female line with a pollen sterility gene.
Lookup Texas male cytoplasmic sterility for maize

Latest posts

Back