Huge mystery insect- thought it was a hornet, but...?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Any ideas what this might be? It buzzed past my mating nucs a couple of times today. It was probably around 2inches to 3 inches long. Almost caught it in a flowerpot, but it got away just as I was thought...'Gotcha!'.

didn't want to tackle it with bare hands...look at its rear end...

Attachments

• mystery insect1.jpg
    mystery insect1.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 140
  • mystery insect2.jpg
    mystery insect2.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 118
Wood wasp, they like larch trees, the large spike is the ovipositor.

I've never seen as big an insect in my garden in my life before...it hung around flying above the garden for a while...the sound its wings made when flying overhead was incredible!

Female giant wood wasp .
dafbc1dae71aa3c16042b213cdc31eba.jpg

As a former Zoologist can I add the following info.
Both sawflies and horntails (woodwasps) are classifed in the Hymenopteran sub order Symphyta as the adults have a broad junction between thorax and abdomen and the larvae are caterpillar like

Ants, bees and wasps on the other hand are classifed in the suborder Apocrita as they have a narrow junction (waist) between thorax and abdomen and have grub like larvae.

Ahh, so that's what I buried in expanding foam when I raked out (most of) the rotten wood from my window cill and did a temporary repair. The poor old thing must have pupated in the remains of the cill then managed to chew its way through about 3" of foam and a couple of layers of exterior paint. I could hear it as it munched its way out and had to lift my jaw off the floor when it finally appeared. Quite striking, I thought - or something like that!

Goes to show it takes a lot more than some expanding foam to stop a determined insect. Nice story :)

Latest posts

Back