How to clean extraction equipment?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdNewman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've done my first ever honey extraction this evening and now have a lovely 10lb of honey :drool5:

I have cleaned most of my kit and tried washing some in cold water with detergent and some in hot water with detergent, both involved plenty of scrubbing. I still have my plastic extractor to do tomorrow which is going to be the hard job, what is the best way of cleaning an extractor?

I was going to fill it with warm water and detergent, leave it for a while, scrub and rinse in fresh water, any better ideas?

Ed.

warm water. And let it stand some hours and honey soaks water in.

The extractor I wash so that I let it spin and I pour there warm water.

I used a hose pipe outside with a spray nosel on it. Cold water seemed fine.

Stand it in the bath
Rinse down with cold water to remove bulk of remaining honey and any adhering wax (important)
Then (and only then) switch to 'bath temperature' hot water to dissolve and remove remaining honey residues

Unless you have a stainless steel extractor I certainly would not be using a power hose on it (I have a 9 frame, plastic bin housed design), any damage to the internal surface will cause greater adherence on future uses and you'll be into a viscious circle, protect the inner surface quality at all costs.

Always use cold water on extraction kit as hot and even warm water will spread the wax and make life very difficult for you.

PH

What about putting it near the hives and letting the Bee's recover some of the honey before cleaning, I watched a video on YouTube about this. Is it a good or bad idea?

It's a bad idea as it will attract wasps, and possibly spread disease between hives

Thanks for all the answers, hadn't even thought of using a hose, I will give that a go tonight.

Ed.

It's a bad idea as it will attract wasps, and possibly spread disease between hives

Well, once again it works for me, I just put all the gear in the field, (not too near any hive), and let the bees clean it, and what a great job they do and never any problems....all that residual honey would go to waste otherwise. Wasps, hornets, bumbles etc, they all get their share.

Chris

Always put mine outside and the bees come and clean it. Generally I take the cage out first so I can scrape out the last of the honey. Then let the bees do their job. Then I jet wash it to get any dirt out then warm water and detergent and followed by a final rinse. I also use some industrial cling film (the stuff they wrap pallets up with) wrapped round the top just to stop anything falling in when it is not in use.

Might seem extravagent but I used to be in the food industry and vagely remember the hygiene regs.

SteveJ

I find a warm/ hot solution of washing soda dissolves honey,propolis and wax. It also sterilises tools, reused frames,crown-boards,escapes, you name it....buy in Sainsburys at 90p per kilo.

Putting extraction equipment outside for the bees to clean is mad. You get bees from all over carrying diseases that your bees may not have to your premises. Please dont suggest this to others.

Might seem extravagent but I used to be in the food industry and vagely remember the hygiene regs.

With all due respect,you would be wise to learn about hygiene and bee's,especially when it comes to putting your equipment out for the bee's to clean up after honey extraction ect.

SteveJ

I dont think "licked clean" is a regulated method.

You are just asking for trouble leaving any kit out for anything to "clean" for you.

Think of others!

Strange how things change, it was always the method used by bee keepers in the past but that was before total paranoia set in as it has with so many other things in today's UK....

.....mind it's creeping in here as well..

....I blame it on all the Brits that have arrived in the last 10 Years.:laughing-smiley-014

Chris

Latest posts

Back