How soon can you reunite a colony after an AS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falesh

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
2 (Poly)
I performed an AS to, hopefully, stop a colony from swarming. I would like to reunite them as soon as possible so I get more honey, but I don't want to do it too soon so they start to think about swarming again. Any advice on a good amount of time to wait?

Cheers!

I performed an AS to, hopefully, stop a colony from swarming. I would like to reunite them as soon as possible so I get more honey, but I don't want to do it too soon so they start to think about swarming again. Any advice on a good amount of time to wait?

Cheers!

when the young queen in laying and brood is emerging

when the young queen in laying and brood is emerging

Too far. My summer is over if I do that.

If it is yield flow, I join after a week.

Good Mark is if virgin in the brood hive is emerged. Then you see, does the brood hive is going to swarm.

The swarm hive looses its swarming fever after couple of days when it draw combs.

IT was first time to me to weigh with balance hive, what AS affects to the yield coming in.
Weighing told that it affects nothing. In one week bees foraged as much honey per day than before AS. So there is no hurry to join them at once.

Later, if two queens rear their brood with one hives' bees, that will not give much honey.

Too far. My summer is over if I do that.

If it is yield flow, I join after a week.

Good Mark is if virgin in the brood hive is emerged. Then you see, does the brood hive is going to swarm.

The swarm hive looses its swarming fever after couple of days when it draw combs.

IT was first time to me to weigh with balance hive, what AS affects to the yield coming in.
Weighing told that it affects nothing. In one week bees foraged as much honey per day than before AS. So there is no hurry to join them at once.

Later, if two queens rear their brood with one hives' bees, that will not give much honey.

for Heather honey production what I said is ideal, but personally I would at least wait until virgin is laying before I unite back

I'm keeping the original queen as she was only introduced in a split on the 8th of May and is the pure Buckfast I want for my hives.

As said, I join when new virgin has emerged. Then kill the virgin and keep the good laying queen.

Last edited:
As said, I join when new virgin has emerged. Then kill the virgin and keep the good laying queen.

I'll do that then, cheers!

would you still unite if you were unable to find the virgin?

Latest posts

Back