How much?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looks like I'm going to end up with some brood frames of honey this year, and rather more than I need at that, so I was considering extracting some. For that I'll presumably need a set of screens for my (shallow frame only) radial extractor to allow me to extract brood frames tangentially. Checking on Thorne's website: £125!

I'm seriously considering what I might be able to bodge up with a few bakers' stainless cooling trays now. Ones of a roughly suitable size appear to be little more than £5 each.

James

What size extractor do you have mine will take some radially, just start slow!

Looks like I'm going to end up with some brood frames of honey this year, and rather more than I need at that, so I was considering extracting some. For that I'll presumably need a set of screens for my (shallow frame only) radial extractor to allow me to extract brood frames tangentially. Checking on Thorne's website: £125!

I'm seriously considering what I might be able to bodge up with a few bakers' stainless cooling trays now. Ones of a roughly suitable size appear to be little more than £5 each.

James
You can always resort to crush and strain - for the cost of a sheet of foundation?

And you'll get more than a frames worth of wax back if you make your own foundation!

However I think that a snip or two to make a cooling rack fit if needed would really do the trick and Thornes will lose out. Cost says that you'll need to add £1 to each of 125 lbs of honey to cover their costs!! Nuts...........

My husband made me some Beech wooden supports which fit on to the extractor shaft once the super cage has been removed. I can spin two brood frames at once. I keep the honey for personal use just in case the adaptations do not meet food hygiene requirements.

And you'll get more than a frames worth of wax back if you make your own foundation!

However I think that a snip or two to make a cooling rack fit if needed would really do the trick and Thornes will lose out. Cost says that you'll need to add £1 to each of 125 lbs of honey to cover their costs!! Nuts...........
How about viewing it like an investment to make your life easier? Dedicated piece of food hi-gene equipment that will be paid for by the Honey you extract from your excess brood frames. Going by some prices that’ll be paid back in no time.

I think you just need a bigger extractor😂

I took James to mean that the brood frames were now full of honey and no brood.
I was confused initially as they are not what I'd think of as brood frames. They are honey frames because they have honey in them and have never had brood in them. I'd call brood frames ones where the bees have or have had their brood.

frames are frames - in the usual setup you have deep frames and shallow frames. deep frames only become brood frames when they are filled with brood
Well that is true, yes.
I put deep boxes on above the QX a couple of weeks ago which are just about ready to be extracted.
I do think of them as brood frames though as that's what I was getting them drawn out for.
Likely James was doing the same thing?

Ok, ok, who was it that claimed the pedants are revolting?

For the sake of clarity, they're national deep frames that have never been used for raising brood despite being removed from a box containing the brood nest, and they're full of capped honey.

James

Have you measured the radius of the metal basket in which the frame go?
If the length is sufficient I could build a wooden implement bolted to the basket support to process 4/8 frames.
Two options without processing.
A. Wintering in disposition Honey, Pollen, Honey, Pollen, Vacuum, Pollen, Honey, Pollen, Honey
B. Nuclei or hive with Empty arrangement, Honey, Breeding, Breeding, Pollen, Unstretched comb, Honey, Unstretched comb, Honey.

Latest posts

Back