how many hives is to much

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I ask you all your ages who have posted. I'm thinking yous are all on the old side and don't really like taking risks in life,

Typical.

All these people under 30 who think they discovered cannabis, getting pissed on a Saturday night, breaking the speed limit, no tax on the car, staying out all night, having a "partner" etc etc.

Sorry we beat you to it. Been there, done that and probably invented or perfected it.
We know if a risk is worth taking.
Normally in the summer months I spend every other weekend away from home enjoying myself.
I work a few hours a day making stuff I sell on ebay which pays for my cars, camper van and anything else I want.

Last edited:
Typical.

All these people under 30 who think they discovered cannabis, getting pissed on a Saturday night, breaking the speed limit, no tax on the car, staying out all night, having a "partner" etc etc.

Sorry we beat you to it. Been there, done that and probably invented or perfected it.

:yeahthat: Geriatrics Rule ! OK ?

I wish I lived near irishguy,just think of all those lovely swarms I could pick up then I could sell them back to him

Typical.

Normally in the summer months I spend every other weekend away from home enjoying myself.
I work a few hours a day making stuff I sell on ebay which pays for my cars, camper van and anything else I want.

I was only kidding ya with the post about the age ;). I'm well over 30 myself ;)

I personally think go for get as many going as you can you soon learn then...

Jeff Buzz
Interests
Beekeeping Diving
Main Hive type used
National
Average number of colonies owned

You should know better than to encourage this loony .....

Lol but learning the hard way is usually the best IMO.

Or the most irresponsible, when you're working with livestock that can frighten and harm the public, and harbour disease that spreads to other peoples' livestock.

I think we've tuned into a beekeeping version of Father Ted. Guess which one is Dougal!

He's more of a Fr Noel Furlong kind of guy! Boo Hoo Hoo! Why are my bees dying!!!

tumblr_m4g3seyZwL1r4noq0o1_500.gif

Only messing with ya! Us over 40's can take the pi$$ out of the young un's without a care or fear of retribution!

Risk.............a situation involving exposure to danger.
Risk.............The possibility that something unpleasant or unwelcome will happen:
My Age........old enough to keep bees responsibly

Or the most irresponsible, when you're working with livestock that can frighten and harm the public, and harbour disease that spreads to other peoples' livestock.

Ack sure what's a few stings to the public, it'll help remind some folk there's bees still in this world and haven't quite died of just yet lol. All jokes aside thou, I'll look after my bees quite well and will do very good in the coming years with beekeeping

Ack sure what's a few stings to the public, it'll help remind some folk there's bees still in this world and haven't quite died of just yet lol. All jokes aside thou, I'll look after my bees quite well and will do very good in the coming years with beekeeping

The experience of working with multiple hives is invaluable. I was fortunate in that when I started beekeeping I was able to help my mentor with his bees. With hindsight, the big plus factor was that I did not have sole responsibility for all those hives. His colony numbers went from 12 to 20+ and up to the past couple of months, I have been helping him manage those bees on a near weekly basis. My own bees and other commitments have recently curtailed the amount of time I can spend working with his bees: I was only arriving at his house at 9pm last night to check three colonies for him. People keep pointing out the difference between the experience gained from working with e.g. one hive for 20 years and working with 40 hives for 4 years..... All I know is that you learn something each time you check a colony and with each passing season. You live and you learn.

A few stings to the public can cost you a lot of good will.

I keep a few of my hives behind my workshop, about twenty meters from my nearest neighbor. Normally my neighbours don't see any honeybees in their garden, except in the early Spring. On Monday they were getting some work done in their yard. My father was chatting to one of the builders (they wanted somewhere to dump hard fill) and was told they had received a few stings.... They weren't complaining - their boss just said "Sure it fairly wakes you up when one gets you!" and had a good laugh about it. Called with my neighbor on Tuesday evening and Jack tells me "Oh, your bees are OK, the builders disturbed a small wasp's nest with the jack hammer! Those boll@xes wouldn't know what a honey bee looked like!" I think Jack needs some more honey for his toast and porridge!! ;)

Last Saturday I was checking another out apiary (this is its second year in position) when I heard an engine cut out and a door open and close. This muppet wanders down through the shed behind which I keep half a dozen or so stocks and says "Are yous well?" Theres me and my father in the middle of a unite to deal with a Q- colony... My reply was "I'm not so bad but if you stand there waving at bees you'll get stung." He was out to see if there were any pigeons over the farmers land (without asking permission to do so) and after my father reiterated that we were wearing bee suits for a reason, he said he had better go before he got stung. I stopped with the farmer/landowner on my way home and asked him to remind any folk using the ground for shooting that there were beehives on the property. Terry wasn't too concerned: he (and his father) regularly wander down to stand and watch the bees (without a bee suit) and says they never bother them. I know my bees are not defensive, but one of these days.......

Last edited:
I started with 6 colonies in my 30s

*AFTER* READING 4 BOOKS, JOINING AN ASSOCIATION AND WATCHING PEOPLE HANDLE BEES ABOUT A DOZEN TIMES.

I noticed that hives were too much when my store room was too tight. Then I used outdoor storages and dampness and mold ruined quite much valuable combs.

I have decided that I have too many hives because I still have 50+ kilos of last year's harvest:winner1st:

Latest posts

Back