How long to leave a captured swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
Two days ago I had been doing something in the shed and left the door open for a few hours. When I went back there was several hundred bees in the windows. The only think that could attract them was a box of old frames that I cleaned up a few years ago and totally forgot about so there's no foundation.

I put the box on the shed roof and a swarm arrived yesterday morning. I now have two jobs, firstly get foundation in the box and secondly take the colony to my apiary.

How long should I wait before opening the hive? I don't want them to abscond but likewise don't want to have to deal with a mess of brace comb so am thinking to replace the frames today. I don't mind if they draw the frames straight but them I'm concerned they won't be strong enough to be transferred to the apiary.

Any tips please :D

Cheers

Huw

Hi

Collected my first swarm earlier this week, had to bring them to my Apiary, and ( realise now from reading on here did to early ) fed them sugar syrup , anyway, thought when opening likewise they would come belting out.

They were in a cluster in the corner and were remarkably sedate, not to say your guys wil be the same. if this hobby teaches us anything it is bees do not do what we expect them to !

I would say open late evening when settled and not in flying mode. Would not wait as even with mine had started to draw beautiful pearl white comb on the crownboard.

Get those frames in pronto. They won't abscond for you putting them in. Do it when they are flying. That way any that come out to get you will find their way back. Suit up no smoke. Have a quick look in a week or two if you suspect it's a cast.
If they are small you might give them a couple of litres of syrup.

Last edited:
I put the frames in this morning, they had 1/4 drawn two already plus the old frame I put in there is fully repaired and full of honey.

The swarm looks huge to me, about 1/2-2/3 of the box was completely full with clustered bees which seems a lot considering there wasn't even foundation to separate them! I'm take the hive to the apiary tomorrow or Monday, I've lost my key for the gate so depends which morning my friends can meet me there and let me in. It's a good 500yd walk up a steep hill otherwise:hairpull:

Hi

Collected my first swarm earlier this week, had to bring them to my Apiary, and ( realise now from reading on here did to early ) fed them sugar syrup , anyway, thought when opening likewise they would come belting out.

They were in a cluster in the corner and were remarkably sedate, not to say your guys wil be the same. if this hobby teaches us anything it is bees do not do what we expect them to !

I would say open late evening when settled and not in flying mode. Would not wait as even with mine had started to draw beautiful pearl white comb on the crownboard.

Two days ago I had been doing something in the shed and left the door open for a few hours. When I went back there was several hundred bees in the windows. The only think that could attract them was a box of old frames that I cleaned up a few years ago and totally forgot about so there's no foundation.

I put the box on the shed roof and a swarm arrived yesterday morning. I now have two jobs, firstly get foundation in the box and secondly take the colony to my apiary.

How long should I wait before opening the hive? I don't want them to abscond but likewise don't want to have to deal with a mess of brace comb so am thinking to replace the frames today. I don't mind if they draw the frames straight but them I'm concerned they won't be strong enough to be transferred to the apiary.

Any tips please :D

Cheers

Huw

Someone on here was suggesting bait hives don't need frames of foundation. I disagree. My bait hives are fully kitted out with one used clean brood frame and ten frames of foundation. Caught many swarms that hived themselves straight in. Your swarm would in all probability have done the same. :)
If i am collecting a cluster I take a brood box with a full set of frames, take out three or four when the box is below or close to the cluster, dump the bees into the space, gently lower the frames of foundation into the space, allowing the bees to move our of the way, assemble the hive around them. Allow time for the stragglers to go in and relocate (often in the evening if circumstances permit).
I don't think you need to be overly concerned about opening up to add frames but you need to do any relocating within a couple of days if only moving a short distance or they may orient to the present position.

Latest posts

Back