How long to lay after AS?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long will it usually take for a year old queen to lay after having been AS'd? She stopped laying a week before I spotted Queen cells. Then I popped in today (4 days after doing the AS) and she is there but there are no eggs yet. I don't know what is normal.

I think I might have been misguided by a queen I had two years ago who layed right up to an AS, layed a full frame 24 hours later, and then swarmed anyway a week after that.

It depends on lots of things : is it foundation or comb, how many bees there are, how much stores in the hive and whether there is a good flow on. Sometimes I have waited over a week.

Are you sure they were swarm cells not supercedure, queen should be on the frame she was on with drawn foundation.

Thanks for the replies,

She was laying very well until a week and a half ago. Then she stopped laying. Also, last week bees from my hive started taking a lot of interest in an empty nuc I left out as a bait hive. Then I spotted charged queen cells on Sunday and carried out an AS. The queen cells were on the bottom of the frames and a few down the edges. Only one was in the middle ish of a frame. As part of the AS I put the queen in a new hive (on original site) with a frame of sealed brood (there was no open brood, just a hive full of sealed brood), a drawn frame I had spare, and the rest was foundation. Since then there has been no interest in the bait hive anymore. So, I hope it was all swarm preparation? I didn't mean to go in and look today as I don't believe in looking without a reason. Unfortunately I had to fix the fact that I put the open mesh floor on upside down on Sunday (oops) and I didn't want them to build comb in the gap.

When I have done false swarms, queens start to lay after couple of days.
The queen may become slimmer in new hive and then it starts to enlarge.

The problem here is that you have not sat down by the hive and read Ted Hooper to them. :icon_204-2:

Thanks everyone. I just finished an inspection (7 days after AS) and she has layed a few full frames with eggs. These are mostly upright eggs so I think she just got her ovaries back up to full working order only recently. I should have had more faith in her as the purpose of my inspection was to see what the situation was in case I had to start to get and get a new queen.

Latest posts

Back