How long in temporary site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I was given a hive and eventually want to move it to the field at home. As I live less than 3 miles from where it was originally I was told to temporarily move it 3 miles away from where it was and 3 miles from my place.

How long does it need to stay at the temporary location? I have been told 2/3 weeks by someone and 6 months by another person. Help please.

How far is your intended site from their current location? I just moved 5 hives just under a mile away and left them locked in, each hive a different amount of time. I found that by leaving them in the shortest time, 10 hours from 8am to 6pm, there were zero returners, unless such returners simply blagged their way into neighbour hives at the site of origin, a situation I would be happy with if that is what occured.

Not sure if thats helpful...but will run the same mode next time.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Another option is to put on a travelling screen and move them directly to the new site, ensuring they get some water every day (spray through mesh) leave them shut in for three days, then release in the evening. They will reorientate nicely and it saves all the faff.

PH

I was given a hive and eventually want to move it to the field at home. As I live less than 3 miles from where it was originally I was told to temporarily move it 3 miles away from where it was and 3 miles from my place.

How long does it need to stay at the temporary location? I have been told 2/3 weeks by someone and 6 months by another person. Help please.
I regularly move hives between 2 sites about half a mile apart. Never had any problems. I just move and open up .

JonnyPicklechin...can you please explain a little further about your experimentation and the different lengths of time you left them in?
Sounds interesting.....

My intended permanent site (my home fields) is approx 3 miles from current site. They have been in this temporary site for 3 weeks now. Thanks for all your help.

JonnyPicklechin...can you please explain a little further about your experimentation and the different lengths of time you left them in?

Sounds interesting.....
Sure. As above but only other thing of note is that one hive I left in 2 days had significant losses due to suffication. I had a floor full of desd bees. Two hives were kept in one day and one night but I saw no difference to the one i kept in 10 hours over the day. So this is the mode I will use for 1 mile spring or summer; seal on OMF, move early morning, release evening.

Ps i am not surprised BF moves less than half mile with no inclusion time with apparent success. However my mode works and is no hassle and so makes me comfortable.

This 2 to 3 week business is definitely unnecessary in my opinion.

This 2 to 3 week business is definitely unnecessary in my opinion.

My association apiary manager suggests the following for moving just a hive or two:
Move your hive in the day leaving behind an empty drawn super on a floor in place of the original hive.
Close the super up at night and unite over newspaper with the original colony

Not tried it myself

My association apiary manager suggests the following for moving just a hive or two:

Move your hive in the day leaving behind an empty drawn super on a floor in place of the original hive.

Close the super up at night and unite over newspaper with the original colony

Not tried it myself
I'd this sort of thing if the move is like 50 to 200 feet.

JP? Did the colony with the floor of dead bees have any top ventilation or just the OMF?

PH

Thanks Jonny, very good work.

Someone on here (not that long ago), said with confidence that they should be locked up for 36 hours after moving but I can't find the thread now.....

Latest posts

Back