How late for honey removal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geohorn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two hives doing really well but one with three supers of which two are being filled. I checked them this morning and at the most there are some frames with up to 60% capped cells in both sides of the frame. How late can I leave it before I get to the right amount so I can extract or is it too late?
I was normally hoping they had capped a little more but we've had bad weather and this has slowed them down. I guess it's weather dependant at this time of the year. Be interested to know other beeks views on this😊

When you start to medicate or feed, it is too late. My last harvest is next week before medicating

I have two hives doing really well but one with three supers of which two are being filled. I checked them this morning and at the most there are some frames with up to 60% capped cells in both sides of the frame. How late can I leave it before I get to the right amount so I can extract or is it too late?
I was normally hoping they had capped a little more but we've had bad weather and this has slowed them down. I guess it's weather dependant at this time of the year. Be interested to know other beeks views on this😊

I suggest doing the 'shake test'. Shake the frames over the hive and if little or no honey runs out then that frame is ready for extraction. If you wait much longer you may find the crop disappears -the bees will have taken the ripe honey down into the bb.
Beware shaking the frame to cause honey to escape the hive and stimulate robbing.

I would take them off and sort at home. Any frames 3/4 capped are likely to be OK. Then I would consolidate the uncapped frames and put them under the brood box for the winter.
You could on the other hand spin off the uncapped honey separately to feed back in a rapid feeder and take the capped for yourself.

Back