How late after the swarms arrives can the hive location be moved?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiftyjon

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few more than 10
When a swarm moves into a new hive/home, how much time is there to move the hive to a new near location that is less than 3 miles and more than 3 feet?

Thanks

Move before they orientate and you can do it immediatley, they have already left "home"

When do they start to orientate?
Could it be safe to say by the next day?

For example; swarm arrives in the afternoon, hive moved 500 yds overnight by the beekeeper, the next morning no issues for the bees? or could it be left for a further day or two before its moved?

They start to work (orientate) as soon as they move in IMO.

If you watch you will see them flying back and forth.

If you intend moving, do it asap, or do the 3 mile

Last year I got away with moving a swarm 6 days after it arrived. Only noticed a cup full of bees hanging around the site of the swarm trap location in the evening of the 2nd day after I removed it. So not too serious a loss of bees.

dclewis - why did you risk losing any of your bees?

Surely any avoidable loss of bees should be avoided?

Eb

In an ideal world all would be perfect, sadly it is not, and we do what we have to do.

PH

There are factors in this equation that most, it seems, ignore, or they don't even cross the beekeeper's mind.

Moving bees is fairly idio t-proof if the rules are followed. There are numerous exceptions, provisos, etc. One might just be forage areas at the old and new sited. Think about it.

I'm with fiftyjon, really useful question. As a newbeek I'm not sure what the rules are! I've variously read you have a few days and do it ASAP. Of course we would all move them ASAP if we could, but I guess the question is how long can it be left. If for example I'm away for a weekend and a bait haive gets occupied while I'm away can I avoid the hastle of the three mile move and get away with a 30 yard move? One day, two days, three, four, five?

The forums wisdom would be much appreciated.

Simon

As a newbeek I'm not sure what the rules are!

Every new beek should know the rule - a strong hint was in the OP:
to a new near location that is less than 3 miles and more than 3 feet?. (my underlining)

The simple rule is you move them either less than 3 feet or more than 3 miles.

If you cannot work out the exceptions, stick to the rule. It works in virtually all situations.

As regards time, if they have orientated to their new home, you may be in trouble. But think about it, most of the bees in a swarm are likely wax builders or nurse bees, so a really large loss of foraging bees may not take place - as might be the case of moving a hive with a large number of foragers.

For a normal colony, don't return them (if moved over three miles) close to their original home for a fortnight (to be fairly safe).

RAB

You could move them 3 miles for a short time and then put them where you originally wanted them

Hi

Sorry if I was unclear Rab, I fully understand the three mile, three feet rule for established hives. This question is about swarms.

People are hinting at a window of opportunity, when the bees are busy drawing comb, getting used to their new home, when you can move them more than 3 feet and less than 3 miles . I think we're just asking how long is that window of opportunity.

dclewis managed it after 6 days, which seems a long time, anyone else?

Simon

Do you put out your bait hive, and then think about where to site it afterwards?

Personally I know exactly where I'm going to site any colony I collect.

Just to explain, my bait hive is at one end of the garden, my apiary is at the other. The swarm came from one of my hives(sorry to admit that). It arrived at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon as my wife and I were getting in the car to leave only to return the next Saturday. Therefore no opportuinity to move the swarm back to the apiary until the next Saturday. Hence the 6 day gap. I thought I would risk moving it the whole distance in one go rather than taking 17 daily moves of 3 feet. For a cup full of bees I think it was worth the risk.

Do you put out your bait hive, and then think about where to site it afterwards?

Personally I know exactly where I'm going to site any colony I collect.

The bait hive/s are placed in good locations but not where I would like the established colony to remain. Those locations are used to collect more swarms. ;)

I'm interested to know other people's experiences & views with respect to the window of opportunity to be able to move the newly arrived swarm to a 'permanent' location that is less than 3 miles but more than 3 feet from the newly occupied site.

Thanks for your comments so far. :cheers2:

Ok let's look at the worst scenario. If you move them and you lose some of the foraging bees then all you will have done is weakened your hive by that number. The bees that have not flown at ths point and new bees yet to emerge, together with the queen will stay wherever you put them. If you cannot move them straight away then move them when you can and risk a few losses. Try a piece of glass at an angle in front of the entrance. It causes the bees to think twice when leaving!!!
All we can do is try and move the ASAP. If we miss that window and do not want to risk a loss of foragers then three miles or more it has to be.
E

Last edited:
"I thought I would risk moving it the whole distance in one go rather than taking 17 daily moves of 3 feet. For a cup full of bees I think it was worth the risk."
Just a tip on moving a hive 3feet a day, I haven't done this but put them on a wheelbarrow and move that, would take a minute each time and if you do it in the evening you don't even have to put on a bee suit.

When a swarm moves into a new hive/home, how much time is there to move the hive to a new near location that is less than 3 miles and more than 3 feet?

Thanks

The answer is another question, how many stragglers are you prepared to put up with ?

The answer is another question, how many stragglers are you prepared to put up with ?

If the caught swarm is moved immediately it has arrived and they have all arrived, then there will be no stragglers.

If the colony is established and then moved, the 3 feet / 3 mile rule applies.

If the hive is moved before they start to forage (which is when?) then no stragglers?

When will they start to forage? I suppose there are many variables but weather being the biggest hinderance for the bees foraging.

If the swarm contains a virgin queen as opposed to a prime swarm with a mated queen the answer will be different again. :willy_nilly:

Latest posts

Back