How do you look at bees in winter/spring?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just remember they are not your domesticated pet and bee temperament can change from calm to very aggressive.

Hi itma,
Just wondering where I could buy some of them see through coverboard. Plan to get some for this year.
Regards
Sharon

I got my 3mm polycarbonate covers online from a place in Leeds. Cut 460*460 for about £7.

Afraid I have lost the name.

Great to be able to see. Takes away the temptation to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.............. and what do bees do when there is a gaping hole in their roof say no more

Can only speak for my own bees, but they do nothing much really, just move them out of the way with your fingers...no attacking/stinging, no problems, no bee suit.

How about the bees in this video, Carnica, not winter, but not aggressive in any way either.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tXaJ2om-Y"]Пчеловодство в Германии. - YouTube[/ame]

OK I want some of those bees, If I done that with mine I would look like the elephant man lol

I have bought my polycarbonate coverboards from Thornes.
Not cheap, but better than I could make for the price (about £18).

I do put on a BB jacket (used to be a £5 pull on 'observers smock') for approaching the hives in season when there are bees in all directions. The hair (what there is) and beard can trap the unwary and I really really don't like that. (I'm not brave.)

However, look again at the OP's question
How do you look at bees in winter/spring?
... If you are simply lifting the roof to have a look through the crownboard ...
Certainly, over winter when there are no bees flying, I don't bother with a veil.
Similarly, I've not had any trouble whatsoever from the bees when they are busy, too busy to bother with distractions - like at the present.

But I am careful to approach and depart without crossing beelines, and standing behind the hives, I'm not bothering the bees, and they aren't bothering me.
Again, I do think the no-hole coverboard is important. By looking in I'm not releasing any exciting smells to wind up the bees of other colonies (let alone those that would have just been given a through draught).
As I've said, don't stir them up, and you cut out most of the trouble.

I would also add that my suburban bees have to be reasonably good-natured, otherwise they would be sent away. There are aspects of their behaviour that could be better, but they don't follow and they aren't really defensive of the area round the hives ... Your mileage may vary!

Last edited:
I got my 3mm polycarbonate covers online from a place in Leeds. Cut 460*460 for about £7.

Afraid I have lost the name.

Great to be able to see. Takes away the temptation to open.

Thanks for that.

I can't find any for that money, all around 20 quid. Not on ebay either, someone said they were.
If anyone knows where to get some cheaper, would be appreciated.

Sharon

no suit needed if bees not flying and just looking through a clear crown board with no holes.

BUT always possible to slip on wet ground and knock the hive.

Thanks for that.

I can't find any for that money, all around 20 quid. Not on ebay either, someone said they were.

Sharon

I bought cut to size laminated safety glass. Stays warm enough not to condensate ( well does for me anyway ) local glass shop £10 each with smoothed / polished edges so you don't cut yourself. Easy to clean too :)

Thanks for that.

Sharon

Sharon, contact this guy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221384948353

I bought mine from him. They have a feed hole but you can cover this when not feeding with a ruler or I use the Perspex from my ashforth feeder. Quality isn't bad for the price.

Thanks for that.
Only prob is seller might not sell as live in Ireland. So i am after sending him a message.
It says that it is a glass. I kinda want perspex/polycarbonate.
think would be lighter, warmer and less likely to cause condensation.
Thanks again
Regards

Thanks for that.
Only prob is seller might not sell as live in Ireland. So i am after sending him a message.
Thanks again
Regards

He's put glass but if you read gumph below it is poly.

I buy polycarbonate sheets form B&Q and cut to size myself. Works out at about £7 each.

I buy polycarbonate sheets form B&Q and cut to size myself. Works out at about £7 each.

Does yours do solid polycarbonate sheets?
Mine only has that "twinwall" stuff that you can't see through so well. I've used it for a solar wax extractor, but its not IMHO as good as solid for a crownboard ...
Probably better for insulation than vision, I'd suggest.

He's put glass but if you read gumph below it is poly.

Ah thanks Roola,
Ah yes i see that now, perfect so.
Have the items saved now, so will wait for him to message back, he might be able to give me an exemption code for postage then.
Thanks again for all your help, i appreciate that.
Sharon

Mine came from here. http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk

Just looked. Cut 460*460 3mm £9.99. Mine wee less.

As I use tbs there is no need for a rim. I worried 3mm might sag. It doesn't even with 1kg fondant on.

I have purchased from that Seller, good quality for the price fit well wooden frame is good if you are not into DIY and I ask him not too drill holes in some I've ordered so I have two types with and without hole he also sells excellent Ashworth or Miller Feeders.....well worth the money for autumn feeding and getting many litres of sugar syrup into a hive quickly!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Watching that video and many others with people not suited up I sometimes wonder if some people or people of different races give off certain scents, due to their diet, that the bees dont find threatening. Herbs, spices, olive oil etc.

Double glazing

What do you cut them with? Would give it a go.
I've tried cutting polycarb for my greenhouse. It split and fractured really easily. I would buy it cut to size if you have the chance

Thanks for that.
Thanks again
Regards
I went to my local double glazing company. For £15 they made up a double glazed window to the exact size of the hive (from the measurements I gave them) Not only does this give a clear view into the hive but added insulation and no condensation.

I've tried cutting polycarb for my greenhouse. It split and fractured really easily. I would buy it cut to size if you have the chance

I went to my local double glazing company. For £15 they made up a double glazed window to the exact size of the hive (from the measurements I gave them) Not only does this give a clear view into the hive but added insulation and no condensation.

I buy my polycarbonate from a local diy shop. Enough to make two whole and one jointed national crownboards for around £10. Fit a beespace frame one side and a 20mm eke space the other. Drill and screw together. I cut the sheet with a tct blade on a table saw and let the blade do the work instead of forcing it.
I also cut a sheet of 25mm expanded polystyrene to fit snugly into the eke or beespace frame to insulate and stop condensation.
Remember not to scrape any propolis off if it gets deposited but use alcohol and a soft cloth to clean the sheet.

Latest posts

Back