How are people responding to the trick thymol question in the Beebase survey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
The Beebase survey just hit my inbox and includes a question as to whether I use "Thymolated syrup" for nosema control. How do I answer, given that "you may choose to believe that but I couldn't possibly comment" is not an option?

The Beebase survey just hit my inbox and includes a question as to whether I use "Thymolated syrup" for nosema control. How do I answer, given that "you may choose to believe that but I couldn't possibly comment" is not an option?

I don't . I use thymol in syrup to stop the syrup going mouldy.

Don’t fill in the survey or lie
I don’t see any issue
One or the other
Simple

What heck they do with surveys.

If they want to do something useful, they test the method and calculate nosema spores from hives.... What ever they do then to nosema.

Survey has no value in this issue.

What heck they do with surveys.

If they want to do something useful, they test the method and calculate nosema spores from hives.... What ever they do then to nosema.

Survey has no value in this issue.

The point is that it is illegal to use thymol to treat nosema.

The point is that it is illegal to use thymol to treat nosema.

OK. You are honest and go to jail. Heaven place is yours. So easy.

Your inspectors should begin to sniff thymol like AFB. Then fire under the hive.

Last edited:
Don’t fill in the survey or lie
I don’t see any issue
One or the other
Simple
The issue is it works and it seems a good idea for them to know that even if it only ends up entering circulation (years away) as a thymol version of Api-Bioxal.

I actually answered "yes" and if challenged will say it is a side-effect of feeding weaker colonies with old syrup.

The issue is it works and it seems a good idea for them to know that even if it only ends up entering circulation (years away) as a thymol version of Api-Bioxal.

I actually answered "yes" and if challenged will say it is a side-effect of feeding weaker colonies with old syrup.

The NBU would actually have to be living on a different planet if it didn’t know about thymol and nosema already

People generate surveys to keep themselves employed, or to gain a qualification.

Also, 67.3% of all research statistics are made up.

Gosh ... 67.3% are not factual?

When 37 beekeepers traveling South along the A30 were asked which washing powder they used to wash their suits in 28 % answered that they did not know as their wives did the laundry.
Of 42 Beekeepers traveling North along the A30 were given the same questionnaire 92.6% told the interviewer to bugger off and not be so silly!

Nos da

As has been said earlier, putting a little Thymol in the syrup stops it going mouldy - and Oxalic Acid is excellent for giving old wooden hive bodies a bit of a tart up...

The NBU would actually have to be living on a different planet if it didn’t know about thymol and nosema already

So why ask ? If their motive is innocent and they do know it's usefulness, then why is t it included in their advice?

Don't respond to surveys unless they pay you. They are getting paid to take the survey. How you answer it once paid is up to you :)

Don't respond to surveys unless they pay you. They are getting paid to take the survey. How you answer it once paid is up to you :)

Yes. YouGov have the correct model.

I for one am pleased to answer the questions from the NBU honestly, and am grateful for the fact that we even have a Bee Unit, and that the various agencies of DEFRA are actively engaged in the thematic of honeybee health, and that we can e.g. avail ourselves of the services of the Bee Inspectorate.

Only by answering the surveys can these agencies get a true picture of how beekeepers are managing their colonies, and adapt their own advice and enforcement policies accordingly.

The way I read it, if you fall into the any of the following categories, then you are in breach of your legal obligations:
- Using ‘home-made’ concoctions or other non-licensed medicines as a treatment for any medical condition in a colony
- e.g. using generic Oxalic acid
- e.g. even when using an approved OA treatment, not applying in accordance with instructions (e.g. fumigating repeatedly)
- Not keeping a full Vetinary Medicine Administration Record

I would wager that well over 90% of hobby beekeepers fall into one or more of those categories. Are the Bee Inspectors, the BBKA, and all the other conglomerates of the great-and-the-good aware of this ? Of course; they are not stupid.

Are we all going to hell in a handcart ? No.

I personally think we should tell them what they need / want to know, and not be so completely paranoid.

Latest posts

Back