Hot smoker in the car?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corrugated cardboard, dried lavender.

What do others use for smoker fuel.

Rotten wood, got some nice chestnut from a felled tree last year which will last a good while yet. When I travel just cover spout with bit of gaffer tape, never had problem...... Well not yet anyway

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I use a layer of tea bags or dried orange peel on the top of the main bulk of the fuel. It gives a nice smell at which point I know to top up the smoker with more fuel. I find the tea bags give a lovely relaxing smell!

I've read a few people put incense in their smoker, supposedly it calms the bees and smells great. Anyone care to share their experience of this?

Yep. I put incense in my smoker.

I'm not sure if the bees care, but it makes me feel calm and relaxed - so my inspections have got better.

Dusty

I use old tins that your christmas box of biscuits come in!

I still stuff with grass, but if too hot, it melts you rubber mats!

Also note, do not light your smoker, and leave in the car, when lit, and try to drive to next apiary! (bloody stupid, but now I know not to!).

As for fuel, I use the packaging from Thorne's which is shredded cardboard, which I usually have a years supply of, I also use dried rotten wood, and pine cones (which my apiary is next to!), which reminds me need to collect some this weekend, and dry them in the polytunnel.

Last edited:
I use wood shavings which I buy in bales for horse bedding, sometimes supplemented with chunks of dry rotten wood to extend the burn time. Having said that I use very minimal smoke, only keeping the smoker to hand if the bees turn uber feisty or to clear bees out of the way when I am putting a q/e back.

I use a base of corrugated cardboard, light that then top with wood shavings (well, pet bedding) few puffs then a layer of 100% pine cat litter (looks like the smoker fuel from some official suppliers, but much cheaper.

Starts easily, keeps going for ages. If it gets too hot, top off with grass.

Rotten wood as a base. I keep all my lavender and rosemary clippings and a mixture goes on top together with a little dry orange peel. Lovely smell. I looked at pine cones once but they seem to produce suffocating fumes from all the resin they contain so abandoned them

Yep. I put incense in my smoker.

I'm not sure if the bees care, but it makes me feel calm and relaxed - so my inspections have got better.

Dusty

Do you really, Dusty? I have a little bag of Frankincense, might add a little and see what happens. I would have thought it would be a bit overwhelming for the bees ( a small piece proved way too much for our little house to cope with ) but a lovely experience for the beekeeper.

Do you really, Dusty? I have a little bag of Frankincense, might add a little and see what happens. I would have thought it would be a bit overwhelming for the bees ( a small piece proved way too much for our little house to cope with ) but a lovely experience for the beekeeper.

I really do!

Always at home, often when inspecting the Cathedral hives.

It is a lovely relaxing smell. Trouble is they now do a range of incense; I'm going to buy a taster pack and experiment.

Dusty.

Check out the Mediaeval Fayres, I bought a bag of Frankincense resin at Tewkesbury and the little charcoal blocks to burn it on. A piece about half the size of a Rice Krispy literally filled the house, I guess we could do with much higher ceilings. :)

I really do!

Always at home, often when inspecting the Cathedral hives.

It is a lovely relaxing smell. Trouble is they now do a range of incense; I'm going to buy a taster pack and experiment.

Dusty.

I was recommended Somalian Frankincense resin, or Chandhan Dhoop sandlewood incense logs. Available from 'the incense man'
You need a resin that will burn on cardboard, or whatever it is you put in the smoker.

Latest posts

Back