Hornets in autumn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
3 TBH + 3 Nat (+ Nucs)
There have been hornets (European!!) living around here for some years. This year I realise there's a nest in the roof above my bedroom window. The only consideration so far this year is that, with the days shortening recently, I see I can't have the windows open and the lights on at night, without hornets zooming in, and should close the curtains too. (Left a light outside on the steps on one evening and discovered 15 - 20 hornets around it a short while later!)

This apart, does anyone know if there's anything else I should expect in the autumn? As far as I've been able to find online, they don't appear to start sugar feeding like wasps for instance. Is that right?

There have been hornets (European!!) living around here for some years. This year I realise there's a nest in the roof above my bedroom window. The only consideration so far this year is that, with the days shortening recently, I see I can't have the windows open and the lights on at night, without hornets zooming in, and should close the curtains too. (Left a light outside on the steps on one evening and discovered 15 - 20 hornets around it a short while later!)

This apart, does anyone know if there's anything else I should expect in the autumn? As far as I've been able to find online, they don't appear to start sugar feeding like wasps for instance. Is that right?

not an entomologist but hornets near me, feed on willow sap and ivy later in the year ,so that to me indicate a sugar phase after the grubs stop secreting their sweet fix just like wasps

currently they are still hunting in my area

Attachments

• hornet killing.jpg
    hornet killing.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 27
Thanks MuswellMetro.
Here they're 'on the ivy' alright, but apparently to hunt other insects, at the moment. I have though seen a few busy at the edges of damaged patches of bark on a lilac, obviously going for something sweeter.

They're up early too! - Just been outside to enjoy the most wonderful dramatic red dawn here, and see the hornets are flying about. They're out and about late evening also. I'd thought they do stop in the early hours, but am not sure.

Last edited:
red sky in the morning, its on its way to you now. torrential rain here in irleand:-(

Just been outside to enjoy the most wonderful dramatic red dawn here, .

How did you know (when setting your alarm last night) that the sky was going to be that colour in the morning?not worthy

red sky in the morning, its on its way to you now. torrential rain here in Ireland:-(

:ohthedrama:
Even more reason to stay in bed!

How did you know (when setting your alarm last night) that the sky was going to be that colour in the morning?not worthy

:ohthedrama:
Even more reason to stay in bed!

Alarm was set - for later (work this morning) - but awake stupidly early: rodents scrabbling (while cat snored peacefully on bed). A lot of species live in this building... Glad I was awake though for ?the best part of today then.

What happened with the tree hornets Hivemaker? Were they a problem to someone?

What happened with the tree hornets Hivemaker? Were they a problem to someone?

Yes, to myself others and the bees, plus a wasp nest in the same oak tree using the same hole as the Hornets.

An overpopulated tree...
Reading Erichalfbee's description on another thread of being attacked by hornets, I just hope the ones here fade out quietly. I'm certainly not going to be clearing out the attic or even cleaning the windows until proper winter arrives!

We have a saying in our valley (started in 1941) 'red sky in the morning - Swansea's burning'

One has great sympathy for the people of Swansea and for the innocent victims everywhere.
But why do I think of Nero...fiddle and all?
Incidentally I have checked the Norwegian weather (YR;very reliable) forecast for you, the rain will not reach Wales until very late evening, so do enjoy the day.:eek: No need to thank me ....delighted to help!

An overpopulated tree...
Reading Erichalfbee's description on another thread of being attacked by hornets, I just hope the ones here fade out quietly. I'm certainly not going to be clearing out the attic or even cleaning the windows until proper winter arrives!
I could not be done with that, if anything is stopping me from doing what i want they would have to go.

I could not be done with that, if anything is stopping me from doing what i want they would have to go.

Holymoly Millet! I seem to remember certain notables throughout history made themselves rather er unpopular with that sort of approach!!
- The attic and the windows I am anyway more than happy to put off, of course.

The rain has yet to arrive here. Maybe we should check out your Norwegian forecasting Quis C.

We have a saying in our valley (started in 1941) 'red sky in the morning - Swansea's burning'

I thought that was a Liverpool saying but that was from 1940
Liverpool_Blitz_D_5983.jpg

All I can say is how happy I am to have seen two Hornets this year, one of which was a queen and in my garden. Stunning creatures.

Holymoly Millet! I seem to remember certain notables throughout history made themselves rather er unpopular with that sort of approach!!
- The attic and the windows I am anyway more than happy to put off, of course.

The rain has yet to arrive here. Maybe we should check out your Norwegian forecasting Quis C.
Do not get me wrong it is normally live and let live with me, but if something becomes a threat to me or anything in my care for or it becomes a nuisance it must be sorted out, we thankfully have no hornets in this neck of the woods but we have wasps, they are left alone unless they are near my hive and upto now it is the first time in years that i have not been stung, they usually love to give me a bit of free acupuncture.

Latest posts

Back